Michael S. Kobernick, MD, MS, CPE
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 923-7583 fax
MD, Michigan State University
MS, Jefferson College of Population Health
MS, University of Detroit
Family Practice, Michigan State University
Research & Practice Interests
Health Improvement Initiatives
Healthcare Organization and Administration
Health Economics, Risk & Finance
Dr. Kobernick is the Medical Director of Clinical Account Management at Blue Cross of Michigan. In this position, he advises large employers on opportunities to improve quality of care and reduce cost.
Previously, Michael Kobernick was the Chief Medical Officer at SmartHealth, where he was responsible for the development of an Ascension national strategy for population healthcare management and new models of physician contracting. In support of this position, he completed a MS in Population Health at Thomas Jefferson University College of Population Health. Upon graduation, he began teaching for the College.
Prior to SmartHealth, Dr. Kobernick worked for several years at St. John Providence Health System. He joined the medical staff at St. John Macomb Center in 1988 as Director of the Emergency Department (ED) and went on to serve in several roles, including Vice President of Medical Affairs. While at St. John Macomb Center, he earned a MS in Health Services Administration from the University of Detroit-Mercy.
Dr. Kobernick was raised in Detroit and completed his undergraduate, medical education and Family Practice Residency at Michigan State University. He served as Chief Resident and was awarded the Parke-Davis Teacher Development Award from the American Academy of Family Practice. After a year in private family practice, Dr. Kobernick spent five years as a staff physician in the ED at Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, where he qualified for and achieved Board Certification in Emergency Medicine, as well as published several articles. In 2007 Dr. Kobernick was recognized by the University of Detroit-Mercy as Alumni of the Year. In addition to the above responsibilities, he has been very involved in the St. John Accountable Care Organization, Partners in Care and the Physician Alliance.
Dr. Kobernick is married and blessed with four children and six grandchildren.
Most Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Population health template: A road map for successful health improvement initiatives
- Drivers of change in pharmacy benefit management
- Letter to the Editor (multiple letters)
- Management of chest pain patients
- Evaluation of a critical pathway for stroke
- Evaluation of a critical pathway for pneumonia.
- Peer review organization payment denials: Comparative analysis of emergency department and non-emergency-department admissions
- Winter symposium proceedings
- Emergency department revisits
- A Computer Protocol to Predict Myocardial Infarction in Emergency Department Patients with Chest Pain
- Detection of myocardial ischemia/infarction in the Emergency Department patient with chest discomfort
- Emergency physician stress and morbidity
- Return visits to the emergency department
- Management of emergencies in the medical office
- Cardiopulmonary-cerebral resuscitation in the hospital