Information for Admitted Applicants
Congratulations on your acceptance to Sidney Kimmel Medical College. The information on this page will be updated periodically in the weeks preceding Orientation Week. Please check this page regularly for updates.
Failure to comply with the requirements will result in your inability to access BANNER, the SKMC student information system.
Campus Key & E-mail
Your Campus Key is your personal identifier, which gives you access to all information resources on campus. Jefferson's IS&T department will be sending an email to all accepted students in the next few weeks confirming enrollment with instructions for receiving a Campus Key.
Self-Register for Wireless Network
All students need to self-register the computer(s) they use to access our JeffWireless network once per semester.
Please have an official final transcript sent to:
Office of Admissions
Sidney Kimmel Medical College
1015 Walnut Street, Suite 110
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Updated Mailing Address
We require that you update your address on file to provide both your Home/Permanent address and your Local (Philadelphia area) address.
You may enter this information on-line via Banner Web by following the steps:
- Log in to Banner, using your Campus Key and Password to log in
- If you haven't already, change your PIN number (the system will prompt you on first log in). Enter your original PIN and new choice of PIN. PINs must be six numeric characters
- If this is your first log in, the next screen will ask you to provide a hint question and answer in the event you forget your PIN and need to have it sent to you. Enter a question and answer that only you know the answer to, but do not make it overly difficult. If needed, your response must exactly match the answer you provide
- Read and accept the Terms of Usage
- Follow the "Personal Information" link
- Find the option "Update Addresses and Phones"
- Select "Home/Permanent" from the address selection drop-down box and enter all requested information
- Once you submit this information, you will be taken back to the address change screen. Select "Local" from the address selection drop-down box and enter all requested information
Health insurance is required for all students at Sidney Kimmel Medical College. If you do not have coverage through another provider, you must enroll in the school-sponsored student health insurance plan. Once enrolled, the plan will be in effect for the entire academic year. For more information, please see link below:
If you are currently covered under an existing plan through a parent or spouse, you may qualify for a waiver.
Pre-Matriculation Health Requirements
Please read the 2019 Welcome Letter from the Medical Director of University Health Services.
All matriculating Thomas Jefferson University students must complete and submit the pre-matriculation health requirements no later than 30 days prior to the first day of class.
International Students in Sidney Kimmel Medical College have access to Thomas Jefferson University's Office of International Affairs (OIA). OIA helps students with immigration matters, acculturation and related issues.
International Students who need a form I-20 or sponsorship to study full-time at SKMC should email the Office of International Affairs at email@example.com after acceptance to begin the process of transferring from another U.S. university or obtaining initial immigration documents. The office can also be reached at 215-503-4335.
Students are required to attend First Year Orientation the week of July 22, 2019. Registration takes place July 22, 2019 from 8:30 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. at Jefferson Alumni Hall at 1020 Locust Street.
White Coat Ceremony
The White Coat Ceremony will take place on Friday, July 26, 2019 from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. at the Crystal Tea Room in the Wanamaker Building, 100 East Penn Square, 9th floor. Parking is available at The Wanamaker Building with the entrance to the garage located at 99-51 South Juniper Street at a cost of $16 for an hour, $20 for up to 2 hours and a max rate of $28.00. There are also various other parking garages located in the vicinity. Plan to arrive early if you are going to park in a garage.
A White Coat Luncheon will follow from 11:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Lubert Plaza on the Jefferson Campus located at 1001 Locust Street.
ALL students will receive (3) three tickets for their invited guests. Students may request additional tickets to the White Coat Ceremony by filling out the form at the ticket request link.
White coats will be presented along with name tags on Registration Day, July 22, 2019.
Bookstore employees will be on-site at Registration Day to fit students for white coats. If you have any questions about white coats or would like to be sized in advance, contact the Bookstore or visit during regular business hours.
Attendance at Orientation Events
|First Year Registration||July 22, 2019||9:00 a.m.||Jefferson Alumni Hall, 1020 Locust Street|
|Orientation Day 1||July 22, 2019||1:00 p.m.||Connelly Auditorium, Hamilton Building, 1001 Locust Street|
|Orientation Day 2||July 23, 2019||9:00 a.m.||Connelly Auditorium, Hamilton Building, 1001 Locust Street|
|Orientation Day 3||July 24, 2019||9:00 a.m.||Connelly Auditorium, Hamilton Building, 1001 Locust Street|
|Orientation Day 4||July 25, 2019||8:30 a.m.||Connelly Auditorium, Hamilton Building, 1001 Locust Street|
|White Coat Ceremony||July 26, 2019||8:30 a.m.||The Wanamaker Building, Crystal Tea Room, 100 East Penn Square, 9th floor|
Medical Instruments & Required Supplies
- Percussion Hammer (Babinski, Dejerine, Queen's Square—do NOT purchase the triangular head or Buck hammer)
- Pen Light
Suggested but not Required
- Otoscope/ophthalmoscope (very important for students considering careers in family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, ophthalmology, ENT, neurology and neurosurgery)
- Tuning Forks (128 Hertz)
For Anatomy Sessions
- A pair (or two) of scrubs to be worn in dissection lab sessions and during practical examinations. Scrubs are mandatory at all times within the Dissection Facility.
- A pair of comfortable shoes that completely cover the foot and can get “messy”. This type of footwear is mandatory at all times within the Dissection Facility.
- A pair of safety glasses/goggles with shatterproof lenses and side shields. Wearing of Safety glasses/goggles is mandatory at all times within the Dissection Facility.
- A combination lock, if desired, for short term securing of personal items during your Dissection Sessions.
- Students may purchase their own dissection equipment or rent equipment from the dissection facility. Rented equipment is restricted to two sets per table due to supply limits. Please Note: Purchased kits should have a Number 4 scalpel handle.
For Clinical Sessions
All instruments and most supplies are available for purchase at:
Jefferson Medical & Health Science Bookstore
1009 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Bookstore staff will be available during orientation week to accept your orders and payment via cash or major credit card.
Readings & Readiness Assessment
We believe that critical thinking and problem-solving are essential skills for physicians. Our curriculum is designed to engage students in active learning by delivering content in multiple modalities, such as small groups, team-based learning, labs, and selected lectures where appropriate. Faculty members act as the facilitators of the curriculum, and are available to answer questions and offer clarification. But the onus of learning is on YOU.
Consider this quote from Peter Brown’s book, Make it Stick: The Science of Successful Learning. “Many common study habits and practice routines turn out to be counterproductive. Underlining and highlighting, rereading, cramming, and single-minded repetition of new skills create the illusion of mastery, but gains fade quickly. More complex and durable learning comes from self-testing, introducing certain difficulties in practice, waiting to re-study new material until a little forgetting has set in, and interleaving the practice of one skill or topic with another.”
For this reason, we strongly encourage you to take the readiness assessment and complete the pre-readings we’ve recommended. You will be able to see what we consider to be a baseline of knowledge for your first day of class, as well as get you started in identifying your own gaps of knowledge and address those areas if necessary before you arrive for medical school. If you do this before you arrive, you will have a smoother start once you get here.
You will only be able to login after May 17, 2019. Instructions on how to access the Readiness Assessment and recommended readings:
- Log in to Blackboard using your campus key and password.
- Go to the Courses tab, and click on “JeffMD-RA-2019: JeffMD: Readiness Assessment.”
- Go to the content area and follow the instructions.
If you have any trouble logging into Blackboard or technical issues, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
JeffMD Phase One: Assessment Weeks 2019 - 2020
|Block 1||8/26/19 – 8/30/19|
|Block 2||10/21/19 – 10/25/19|
||12/16/19 – 12/20/19|
|Block 3B||2/17/20 – 2/21/20|
|Block 4A||3/30/20 – 4/3/20
|Block 4B||5/11/20 – 5/15/20|
The first-year academic calendar for the Class of 2023 is below. Calendars for all SKMC class years can be found on the Registrar's site.
|Monday July 22, 2019||Registration 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.|
|Monday July 22, 2019||First Payment comprehensive fee due at registration|
|Monday - Friday July 22 - 26, 2019
|Friday July 26, 2019||White Coat Ceremony|
|Fall Semester (Intro to the Study of Medicine, Host Defense - Blood, & Cardio/Pulmonary)||July 29 - December 20, 2019|
|Monday July 29, 2019
||Classes begin 8:00 a.m.|
|Monday September 2, 2019
||Labor Day Holiday|
|Wednesday November 27, 2019||Thanksgiving Holiday begins 12:00 p.m.|
|Monday December 2, 2019
||Classes resume 8:00 a.m.|
|Friday December 20, 2019
||Winter Recess begins 5:00 p.m.|
|Spring Semester (Cardio/Pulmonary & GI/Liver/Renal)||January 6 - May 15, 2020|
|Monday January 6, 2020||Second Payment & Fees Due|
|Monday January 6, 2020||Classes resume 8:00 a.m.|
|Monday January 20, 2020||Martin Luther King Holiday|
|March 9 - 13, 2020||Spring Break
|Monday March 16, 2020
||Classes resume 8:00 a.m.|
|Friday May 15, 2020
||Summer Recess begins 5:00 p.m.|
|Monday July 27, 2020||Summer Recess ends 8:00 a.m.|
Request for Accommodations
Sidney Kimmel Medical College of Jefferson University is committed to providing all students with opportunities to take full advantage of the educational and academic programs. Our College of Medicine recognizes that students with documented disabilities may require reasonable accommodations in order to achieve this objective and/or to meet the technical standards.
Compliance with the SKMC Honor Code/Shared Code of Values
SKMC Class of 2023 Facebook Page
Join the SKMC (Jefferson) Class of 2023 Accepted Students Facebook Group to meet fellow students and keep up with the latest news. You need to be logged into Facebook to access the group.