William Sexauer, MD
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 955-0830 fax
UMDNJ - New Jersey Medical School - 1984
Medical College of Pennsylvania (MCP)
Temple University Hospital
Critical Care Medicine
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
Methodist Hospital Division of Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
Research & Clinical Interests
Dr. Sexauer graduated with honors from Rutgers University prior to matriculating to UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical College. He completed Internal Medicine training at The Medical College of Pennsylvania followed by Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine at Temple University College of Medicine. Dr. Sexauer served on the faculty of the Medical College of Pennsylvania (now Drexel University College of Medicine) and Robert Wood Johnson College of Medicine prior to joining Thomas Jefferson University as Clinical Professor of Medicine in 2011. He is board certified in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Medicine, and Critical Care Medicine by the American Board of Internal Medicine.
Dr Sexauer has a broad range of experience and expertise. He currently serves as Director of Critical Care Services at Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals - Methodist Division. For many years he was Director or Associate Director of the Adult Cystic Fibrosis Center at Drexel University College of Medicine and Robert Wood Johnson College of Medicine and been involved in CF related clinical care, education, and research. His outpatient practice currently encompasses both cystic fibrosis and non-cystic fibrosis related bronchiectasis. He has been involved with the care and rehabilitation of patients with chronic lung disease and is in the process of establishing an outpatient Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at Thomas Jefferson University.
Dr Sexauer has participated in numerous research studies and clinical trials in cystic fibrosis, non-CF bronchiectasis, COPD, asthma, and sarcoidosis. He has served in the board of the Delaware Valley Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and as President and Board member of the Laennec Society of Philadelphia, the regional society of pulmonary and critical care physicians in the Delaware Valley. He has published numerous articles, reviews, and book chapters and serves as reviewer for multiple journals in the field of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine. Awards include membership in the AOA Honor Medical Society, Outstanding Service Award from the Delaware Valley Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, and the Oksana Korzeniowski Award for Outstanding Patient Care and Clinical Education from Drexel University College of Medicine.
Most Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Dyspnea in Patients with Stiff-Person Syndrome
- In response
- Politics and professionalism
- Forced Expiratory Volume in 1 Second Variability Helps Identify Patients with Cystic Fibrosis at Risk of Greater Loss of Lung Function
- Vitamin D deficiency is associated with pulmonary dysfunction in cystic fibrosis
- Readmissions after hospital discharge with acute exacerbation of COPD: are we missing something?
- HLA and environmental interactions in sarcoidosis
- TGF-β1 variants in chronic beryllium disease and sarcoidosis
- Robust trend tests for genetic association using matched case-control design
- Aerosolized Antibiotics in Cystic Fibrosis
- Utility of the Breathing Reserve Index at the Anaerobic Threshold in Determining Ventilatory-Limited Exercise in Adult Cystic Fibrosis Patients
- Health status and sociodemographic characteristics of adults receiving a cystic fibrosis diagnosis after age 18 years
- Design of A Case Control Etiologic Study of Sarcoidosis (ACCESS)
- Hemoptysis as the presenting symptom in bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia
- High-resolution CT in the acute exacerbation of cystic fibrosis: Evaluation of acute findings, reversibility of those findings, and clinical correlation
- Pulmonary complications of cystic fibrosis in adults
- New treatment modalities for cystic fibrosis.
- Bronchial obstruction secondary to aortic pseudoaneurysm: Treatment with an expandable metallic stent
- Management options for cystic fibrosis in adults.
- Unusual manifestations of cystic fibrosis
- The comparative effects of elastase-induced emphysema on costal and crural diaphragm and parasternal intercostal muscle contractility
- Recurrent hemopytsis, chest pain, and purulent sputum in a young man
- Pleural effusions in right-sided endocarditis: Characteristics and pathophysiology