Architecture & The Built Environment Academy
Thank you to all those who participated in Summer Academy 2021! We're already looking forward to our next Architecture and the Built Environment Academy experience. If you'd like to be notified when the next session is available please email Erike DeVeyra. Read about our past Summer Academy on Grid Philly!
Jefferson’s award-winning College of Architecture and the Built Environment is offering a virtual summer design pre-college course for high school students to explore the architectural design fields including architecture, interior design, landscape architecture, historic preservation and construction management. Juniors and seniors will learn from Jefferson faculty, alumni, and industry professionals, while participating in design projects, research projects and firm visits conducted in an online environment.
Through hands-on and real-world learning, participants will have the opportunity to explore the architectural fields and look at different study options and career pathways. Working with Jefferson faculty, alumni and current college students, participants will build a deep understanding of the architecture and related design fields. Each participant will be assigned a mentor from the architecture, design and construction industry helping them build the confidence and skills to apply for college beyond this experience.
- Learn how to solve and communicate real world design problems exploring different disciplines
- Learn 2D + 3D analog and digital representation techniques, and learn how to build models
- Learn foundational design principles such as color, pattern, form and composition
- Explore topics such as history and theory, professional practice and technology
- Get to know our undergraduate programs in the architectural disciplines
Sample Summer Academy Schedule:
- Week 1: Career Discovery Week: Exploring the Architectural Disciplines
- Week 2: (Optional) - Exploration and Design Week: Take a Deep Dive into your Chosen Discipline
- Week 3: (Optional) - Exploration and Design Week: Take a Deep Dive into your Chosen Discipline
Summer Academy Faculty
This summer faculty from across different programs in the College of Architecture and the Built Environment will be leading the week long Career Discovery and Deep Dive sessions. Our faculty bring years of experience working in their industries, as well as connections to our alumni and industry partners.