James F. Pelegano, MD, MS
Program Director, Healthcare Quality & Safety
Master of Science in Healthcare Quality & Safety
Health care in America is in crisis. There are increasing concerns regarding the cost and coordination of care, disparities in access, and the rise in chronic illnesses across all segments of the population.
Improving the quality and safety of health care is the cornerstone to overcoming many of the deficits in the healthcare system. By making health care more efficient and safer, we can improve the quality of care and the health of the population as a whole.
Jefferson's online Master of Science in Healthcare Quality and Safety (MS-HQS) prepares healthcare professionals in all venues of healthcare delivery to be leaders and advocates in the effort to improve healthcare quality and patient safety.
Inquiries about the MS-HQS program can be e-mailed to email@example.com, or by calling (215) 503-0174.
MS-HQS graduates will be well-equipped to lead quality and safety improvement initiatives in:
- Outpatient facilities
- Integrated delivery systems
- Health insurance organizations
- Governmental healthcare agencies
- Health policy research firms, and community-based advocacy and service organizations
Career options for those pursuing this degree include Chief Quality or Safety Officer, Quality Analyst, and Program Leader for Quality Improvement.
- To prepare students with analytic, evaluation and change management skills to guide and enhance quality improvement efforts in a variety of healthcare delivery settings
- To enhance workforce preparedness for healthcare professionals whose roles include oversight and implementation of quality improvement, patient safety and risk management functions
Students in this program will acquire the skills to:
- Analyze U.S. healthcare benefits and systems for delivering healthcare services
- Design, conduct, and evaluate activities designed to measure and improve healthcare quality and patient safety
- Develop, analyze and implement policies, care guidelines, and regulations relevant to healthcare quality and safety
- Evaluate, select and integrate information systems and technology that support decision-making and work flow within and across healthcare settings
- Lead, manage, and develop policy approaches to address problems related to healthcare quality and patient safety
The MS-HQS is intended for:
- Physicians, nurses, pharmacists, and other healthcare professionals
- Risk management professionals
- Healthcare program administrators
- Pharmaceutical industry professionals
- Health Information Technology professionals and analysts
- Clinical healthcare professionals seeking a career change or desiring to apply quality and safety principles in their current clinical positions
- Individuals working in managed care and other payer settings, with background or interest in quality and utilization management, disease management, case management and related aspects of healthcare delivery and administration
- Students in related health professional degree programs, such as MD, BSN/MSN, PhD, JD, PharmD who are interested in a joint master's degree in quality and safety
- Individuals working in healthcare-related professional organizations and trade associations
- Individuals working in public health, government or regulatory positions at the local, state, or federal level
James F. Pelegano, MD, MS
901 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
In the News