Recognized as one of the finest educational experiences available in the United States, the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery offers residency, fellowship, and medical student externship programs at the Sidney Kimmel Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University. Our nationally prominent staff includes more than 102 world-class faculty members, 17 postgraduate fellows, 30 residents, and a talented administrative team. Our academic programs, supported by cutting-edge research in the field, produce the most highly trained and sought-after orthopaedic surgeons.
The Sidney Kimmel Medical College Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program is designed to provide a broad foundation in the subspecialties of orthopaedic surgery. During the five years of the residency program, you will develop clinical and surgical skills by working closely with faculty members in providing patient care and conducting research.
Our Fellowship Programs offers leading experts in every orthopedic specialty, enabling you to learn the latest surgical and patient care techniques. We treat each patient with a personalized, comprehensive approach. Fellowship programs at the Sidney Kimmel Medical College Department of Orthopaedic Surgery provide the skills and experience to help you realize your potential.
Through the Rothman Orthopaedic Institute, the Sidney Kimmel Medical College Department of Orthopaedic Surgery offers the following fellowship training:
- Adult Reconstruction Fellowship This Adult Reconstruction (Hip & Knee) Fellowship provides an integrated approach to the diagnosis and management of the full-spectrum of hip and knee arthritis.
- Foot & Ankle Fellowship The Foot & Ankle Fellowship at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital provides exposure to clinical management of patients and the opportunity to perform research.
- Hand Fellowship The Hand Fellowship at the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery performs over 250 operative procedures each month, from congenital hand problems through reconstruction.
- Hand & Upper Extremity Surgery Fellowship The Hand & Upper Extremity Surgery Fellowship is a fully accredited (ACGME) hand surgery fellowship, designed to train the next generation of hand surgeons.
- Shoulder & Elbow Fellowship The Shoulder & Elbow Fellowship at Rothman Orthopaedics at Jefferson Health in Philadelphia is considered one of the premier fellowships in the country.
- Sports Medicine Fellowship The Sports Medicine Fellowship offers an outstanding experience in the clinical, surgical, academic & research aspects of the full spectrum of athletic injuries.
The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery prides itself on the education and training provided to medical students who choose to rotate with our program. Our department invites fourth-year medical students from outside institutions to submit an application for an externship rotation at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. Applications for this rotation are processed through VSLO (formerly VSAS).