We at Jefferson College of Biomedical Sciences (JCBS) welcome students who wish to take courses without committing to a degree or certificate program. We accommodate such students by enrolling them in our non-degree option.
Students from a wide variety of educational backgrounds and with various life experiences take courses under the non-degree option.
Reasons for taking such courses include:
- Learning a new skill set or subject matter
- Building on professional and life experiences
- Satisfying a need for life-long learning
- Preparing for graduate study
Courses taken by non-degree students are the same courses taken by students in our Certificate & Master of Science programs. If a non-degree student eventually applies to and is accepted by a certificate or degree program at JCBS, credit for any courses in which he or she earned a B or better can be transferred to the certificate or degree program.
Applications for non-degree status are considered throughout the year and newly matriculated students may begin coursework in any academic term.
Please email us when you submit your application at email@example.com.
JCBS uses an online application. In the program drop-down list, select JCBS Non-Degree. Submitting an application requires a $10 non-refundable fee.
Describe your specific reasons for applying to Thomas Jefferson University. Detail your professional objectives, including your areas of interest regarding research, study and career.
Applicants are required to submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. This includes any study-abroad programs or transfer credit not reflected on undergraduate transcripts, with full course titles and final grades.
If your courses were completed outside of the United States, you must submit a course-by-course evaluation from World Education Services, Inc. (WES).
Transcripts need to be received by the Office of Admissions in a sealed envelope with an official signature or stamp across the sealed flap. Send to:
JCBS Office of Admissions
Suite M-46, Jefferson Alumni Hall
1020 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107-6799
If your native language is not English, or you received your baccalaureate degree from an institution where English is not the official language of instruction, you must submit official scores from an accepted English proficiency exam such as TOEFL or IELTS. If you are unsure about whether this applies to you, see our list of TOEFL Requirements by Country (PDF).
TOEFL or IELTS scores are valid for two years; scores older than two years will not be considered.
Under no circumstances can any application materials submitted to the Office of Admissions be returned to the applicant or forwarded to another college, university or third party. All records submitted in support of an Application for Admission become property of Jefferson College of Biomedical Sciences, Thomas Jefferson University.
Online Application Instructions
- Please be sure to read all instructions at the top of each screen before starting each section.
- When asked to choose a Login ID, you may, but are not required to, use your social security number. This will help the Admissions Office match transcripts, letters of recommendation, personal statements and other materials accordingly. Otherwise you can create a Login ID of up to 9 alphanumeric characters. You may choose any six-digit number for the PIN number. Be certain to record your Login ID and PIN number.
- There is a 5-minute inactivity timeout. After which, you will be prompted to re-enter your Login ID and PIN to continue with the application.
- When entering a date in any section of the application, use the format MM/DD/YYYY, including the slashes.
- When all sections are complete, select the Application Complete box before submitting the application. If you do not check the complete box, the application will not be submitted to the database.
- After the application is complete, please provide a credit card number and expiration date to pay the non-refundable $10 application fee. Failure to provide credit card authorization will result in an incomplete application and it will not be added to our database.
- If you receive an error message or have any problems when attempting to submit your application, please contact the Office of Admissions at JGSBSfirstname.lastname@example.org or call (215) 503-4400.
Frequently Asked Questions
Jefferson College of Biomedical Sciences (JCBS) uses an online application which allows applicants to submit their application fee, personal statement and resume/CV.
A paper option is also available, and can be obtained through the Office of Admissions or by downloading the Non-Degree Application Form (PDF).
Applications are considered on a rolling-admissions basis throughout the year and newly matriculated students may begin coursework in any academic term.
A complete application consists of:
- A completed application form
- Non-refundable $10.00 application fee
- Official transcripts showing completion of baccalaureate degree
- Personal Statement
- English Proficiency: If your native language is not English, you received your baccalaureate degree from an institution where English is not the official language of instruction or your institution is on our list of TOEFL requirements (PDF) you must submit official scores from an accepted English proficiency exam such as TOEFL or IELTS.
- Transcript Evaluation: If you completed your undergraduate/graduate work outside of the United States, you must submit a course-by-course evaluation from WES (www.wes.org)
For other information (Student VISA, etc) please visit our Office of International Affairs.
The maximum number of credits a student may take in non-degree status is 13.
Once a student has taken 13 credits, the student can either apply to a degree program within JCBS or request permission to continue in non-degree status from the Associate Dean and Director of Professional Science Master's Degree Programs.
Non-degree students may enroll for a maximum period of two years (six semesters) and may register for no more than seven credits in any one semester.
All application materials should be sent to the JCBS Office of Admissions at the following address:
Jefferson College of Biomedical Sciences
Office of Admissions
1020 Locust Street
Jefferson Alumni Hall, Room M46
Philadelphia, PA 19107
The application fee is $10.00. The fee is non-refundable.
We do not waive the application fee for non-degree status.
Non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid.
Courses taken as a non-degree student are the same courses we offer to our MS students. Completed non-degree courses may later be applied toward a graduate certificate or degree program.
Questions regarding the application process can be directed to the Admissions Office by calling (215) 503-4400 or emailing email@example.com. Specific questions about the program can be directed to Eleanor Gorman, Assistant Coordinator for MS Programs in the Basic Sciences, at (215) 503-5799.