To achieve equity in healthcare access and health outcomes for refugees resettled in the United States.
- Deliver compassionate, comprehensive, longitudinal clinical care to refugees and asylees in our community.
- Educate students and providers to procure culturally competent evidence based care for the socio-medically complex population within a collaborative framework.
- Conduct research to evaluate and improve the delivery of care to refugees.
- Advocate for refugees, asylees, and other immigrant populations at the local, state and federal levels.
- Changes in BMI of Refugee Children Resettled in Philadelphia, PA
- Collaborative Identification of Barriers to Overcome Cervical Cancer Screening
- Comprehensive Refugee Health Surveillance Program (Funder: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Contraception Choices of Refugee Women in Philadelphia
- Epidemiology of Refugees Resettled in US and HBV in Refugee Children
- Hypertensive Management for Refugees in a Patient-Centered Medical Home
- Needs Assessment of Older Refugees
- Perinatal Outcomes in Refugee Women
- Post-resettlement Refugee Growth Trajectories
- Refugee Health Screening in Philadelphia
- The Patient-Centered Medical Home as an Effective Framework for Treating Adult Refugee Patients With Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
DFCM RESEARCH TEAM
CONTACT: Kevin Scott, MD
Subedi P, Drezner KA, Dogbey MC, Newbern EC, Yun K, Scott KC, Garland JM, Altshuler MJ, Johnson CC. Evaluation of latent tuberculous infection and treatment completion for refugees in Philadelphia, PA, 2010-2012. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2015 May;19(5):565-9.
Yun K, Matheson J, Payton C, Scott KC, Stone BL, Song L, Stauffer WM, Urban K, Young J, Mamo B. Health Profiles of Newly Arrived Refugee Children in the United States, 2006-2012. Am J Public Health. 2015 Nov 12:e1-e7. [Epub ahead of print]Scott KC, Taylor EM, Mamo B, Herr ND, Cronkright PJ, Yun K, Altshuler M, Shetty S. Hepatitis B screening and prevalence among resettled refugees - United States, 2006-2011. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015 Jun 5;64(21):570-3.
Careyva B, LaNoue M, Bangura M, de la Paz A, Gee A, Patel N, Mills G. The effect of living in the United States on body mass index in refugee patients. J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2015;26(2):421-30.
Goodkind JR, Hess JM, Isakson B, LaNoue M, Githinji A, Roche N, Vadnais K, Parker DP. Reducing refugee mental health disparities: a community-based intervention to address postmigration stressors with African adults. Psychol Serv. 2014 Aug;11(3):333-46.
Pickle, S., Altshuler, M., Scott, K. Cervical cancer screening outcomes in a refugee population. J Immigr Refug Stud. 2014;12(1):1-8.
Carter KL, O’Leary CM, Garland J, Altshuler M, Scott K. Improving medication adherence rates and decreasing treatment burden on physicians – An interdisciplinary model through the use of advanced practice pharmacists. North American Refugee Health Conference, Toronto, Canada, June 2015.
Patel N, Beldowski K, Salzman B. Geriatric Assessments in Older Refugees. North American Refugee Health Conference, Toronto, Canada, June 2015.
Altshuler M, Hervada-Page M, McManus RP, Scott K. A Unique Residency Experience About Refugee Health Care. Society of Teachers of Family Medicine Annual Spring Conference, Orlando, FL, April 2015.
Altshuler M, Hervada-Page M, McManus RP, Scott K. Differences in the Growth Trajectories of Refugee Children compared to a Reference Group After US Resettlement. North American Refugee Health Conference, Toronto, Canada, June 2015;Pediatric Academic Societies annual conference, San Diego, CA, April 2015.
Yun K, Song L, Matheson JS, Nelson KR, Payton C, Scott KC, Stone B, Young J, Mamo B. Health Status of Refugee Children in the US, 2006-2012. Pediatric Academic Societies annual conference, San Diego, CA, April 2015.
Yun K, Urban K, Song L, Matheson JS, Payton C, Scott KC, Stauffer W, Stone B, Young J, Mamo B.Hepatitis B infection, exposure, and immune status: Refugee children at the time of arrival in the U.S. Pediatric Academic Societies annual conference, San Diego, CA, April 2015.
Soin K, Beldowski K, Garcia KP, Bates E, Naik S. Contraception choices of refugee women in Philadelphia: A retrospective and observational study examining barriers, beliefs, and practices. Poster presented at the 2015 CUGH Global Health Conference, Mobilizing Research for Global Health, Boston, MA, March 2015.
Beldowski K, Patel N, Salzman B. Characterizing the Older Refugee Population at Jefferson Family Medicine Associates. American Geriatrics Society Annual Meeting, National Harbor, MD, May 2015.
McGrath K, Bettner L, Payton C, Mills M, Altshuler M, Scott KC. The Patient-Centered Medical Home as a Model for Treating Adult Refugee Patients with Hypertension: A Retrospective Chart Review. North American Primary Care Research Group Annual Meeting, New York, NY, November 2014.
Soin K, Beldowski K, Garcia P, Bates E, Naik S, Altschuler M.Contraception Choices of Refugee Women in Philadelphia: A Retrospective and Observational Study Examining Barriers, Beliefs, and Practices. American Academy of Family Physicians Global Health Conference, Baltimore, Maryland, October 2013; Society of Teachers of Family Medicine, San Antonio, TX, May 2014; North American Refugee Health Conference, Rochester, NY June 2014.
O’Leary CM, Altshuler M, Scott K., Hervada-Page M, Kitagawa-James K. An interdisciplinary model to improve completion of latent tuberculosis infection treatment in the refugee population. Poster presented at the AAFP 2013 Family Medicine Global Health Workshop, Baltimore, MD October 2013.
Scott, K. Ethical Considerations in Conducting Research with Refugee Communities. North American Refugee Health Conference, June 6-8, 2013, Toronto, Canada.
In The News
PHOTOVOICE and MENTAL HEALTH