Jefferson Scale of Empathy
Empathy in patient care... "a cognitive attribute that involves an ability to understand the patient's pain, suffering, and perspective combined with a capability to communicate this understanding and an intention to help."
Center researchers developed The Jefferson Scale of Empathy (JSE) to measure empathy in physicians and other health professionals.
- Medical students (S-version)
- Health Professions (HP-version)
- Health Professions students (HPS-version)
The HP version can be administered to physicians and all other health professionals who are involved in patient care, such as nurses, dentists, pharmacists, clinical psychologists, etc. There are 2 versions of the scale for students. One is for administration to medical students (S-version) and the other is for health professions students (HPS version). Both are similar in content with minor modifications in wording to avoid confusion. For example, an item beginning “Physicians’ understanding…” in the medical student version may begin “Health care providers’ understanding…” in the health professions student version.
When you purchase the JSE, the English version of the scale is sent to you with permission to translate the scale into your language. If a translated version in your language is available we will also send that to you. We do not endorse the accuracy of any translation. You are welcome to improve the accuracy of the translation if deemed necessary. We highly recommend that in translating or improving the translated versions you use the back-translation method and that you examine some aspects of the psychometrics with your own sample. More specifics are provided when you order the scale.
Methods of Administration:
Forms include the scale, demographic and specialty information. Options when ordering paper forms:
1. We will FedEx forms to you and if TJU is performing scoring services, you would return them to us for scoring and a standard report would be provided.
2. We will FedEx forms to you and you can score the scale yourself (most cost-effective).
3. You may purchase permission to print your own forms given that certain conditions regarding the text of the items, their order of appearance, instructions, response scale, etc. are met. Please contact us for specific conditions. The cost of using printed or PDF forms is the same.
Please find an order form and shipping and handling charges under Resources.
Web administration from our website is available for all versions of the JSE (HP, S and HPStudent). You have two options for online administration:
1. Thomas Jefferson University (TJU) website where scoring for a pre and posttest is included. You will receive a standard report with additional statistical analysis available for an additional fee.
2. Your own website where scoring is not included and certain conditions apply. The cost is the same; however, an annual license allows you to post the JSE on your own secure website and administer the scale as many times as you like for those 12 months under agreed conditions. Please see the FAQ for further details.
Scoring services insure data entry and scoring accuracy and provide uniformity of scoring procedures. See the order form for more information.
The Standard Report includes descriptive statistics (mean, standard deviation, range, mode and quartiles) for the group of respondents, an empathy score for each respondent and an Excel spreadsheet of raw data.
Additional Statistical Analyses are available upon request for an additional fee. These include gender/specialty and other group comparisons by total JCP E scores, comparisons by custom coded groups, and pre-test and post-test comparisons.