International East Falls Students


Name: Hannah Bar-Giora
Position: Director, International & Exchange Student Programs Office
Organization: Jefferson - East Falls Campus
Contact Number(s):
Name: Justine Chevallier
Position: Office Coordinator, International & Exchange Student Programs Office
Organization: Jefferson - East Falls Campus

Kanbar Campus Center, Suite 102
Philadelphia, PA

Contact Number(s):

Campus Practical Training (CPT)

This applies to students studying at Jefferson – East Falls Campus ONLY

Curricular practical training (CPT) is employment that is an integral part of an established curriculum and that is being taken for credits (and therefore you must pay tuition for those credits).

To be considered for CPT, the work must not only be related to your field of study, but an integral part of your studies. CPT is not meant to be a convenient employment opportunity nor is it a device to save optional practical training (OPT) months.

When am I eligible for Curricular Practical Training?

In order to be authorized for off-campus employment undergraduate students must be in full-time F-1 student status for one full academic year (defined as two full semesters, either fall and spring or spring and fall). Graduate students do not have this same requirement and are eligible for CPT as soon as they start their program.  CPT at Thomas Jefferson University – East Falls Campus is called an internship. There are certain requirements for this. You should first check with your academic advisor and Career Services for eligibility.

Do I need a job in order to apply?

Yes, CPT is employment-specific. You must have an offer from the prospective employer stating the position, salary and employment dates.

Will this type of work affect my OPT?

No. CPT does not affect OPT as long as the authorized period is less than 12 months.

What is the maximum number of hours per week I can work?

You may work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the semester while classes are in session. Full-time employment (more than 20 hours) is allowed during winter and summer breaks.

How do I apply for CPT?

  1. Visit East Falls Career Services Interships for internship information including eligibility requirements and credit options. Consult with your academic advisor if you are unsure of your eligibility to earn academic credit.
  2. If you have already secured an internship or plan on securing an internship for the following semester and want to register it for credit follow the steps outlined on the East Falls Career Services Internships for Credit webpage.
  3. Make an appointment with Hannah Bar-Giora by emailing for work permission through SEVIS.

A copy of the completed internship agreement paperwork will be sent to Hannah in order to authorize the work in SEVIS.

Please bring your fully completed Academic Advisor Recommendation for Curricular Practical Training form.

IMPORTANT: If you start working at your internship before the authorization date or without getting permission recorded in SEVIS then you are illegally working in the USA and that cannot be rectified by reinstatement.­