Health Sciences BS / Pre-Physician Assistant - East Falls
The Health Sciences BS / Pre-Physician Assistant program gives students physician assistant preparation as an undergrad. Completing the BS Health Sciences in four years provides greater flexibility in completing undergraduate degree requirements over a longer period of time with more opportunity to incorporate experiences like study abroad or additional participation time in intercollegiate athletics.
The 4+2 program option is not completed in an accelerated format. Completing the BS Health Sciences in four years provides greater flexibility in completing undergraduate degree requirements over a longer period of time with more opportunity to incorporate experiences like study abroad or additional participation time in intercollegiate athletics.
The degree requirements for the MS in Physician Assistant Studies are the same for the five-year and 4+2 options and completed in the same amount of time.
Students in the 4+2 option are not guaranteed admission to the MS Physician Assistant Studies portion of the program. 4+2 option students must complete an application using CASPA (Centralized Application Service for Physician Assistants) by the stated deadline the year prior to their desired master’s enrollment date. All 4+2 option applicants with a CASPA calculated cumulative GPA and science GPA of 3.25, as well as at least 200 direct patient contact hours will be invited for an admissions interview. Admission to the MS in Physician Assistant Studies is selective.
Successful completion of the Pre-Professional Phase includes:
- Completing all required Pre-Professional courses, with a grade of C or better in all core classes.
- Maintaining the required grade point averages of 3.25 cumulative and 3.25 core at the end of each Spring semester
- Submitting a CASPA application
- CASPA-calculated overall GPA and science GPA of 3.25
- Completing a state certification as an EMT-B or CNA
- Gaining 200 hours of direct patient contact
- Acquiring 3 satisfactory letters of reference
- Completing a personal essay
With successful completion of these requirements, students are offered an interview for the Professional Phase.
Successful completion of the Professional Phase includes:
- Completing all required Professional Phase courses and rotations
- Maintaining a 3.0 grade point average
- Successfully passing Summary Testing
- Meeting all standards listed in the Thomas Jefferson University Graduate Catalog and Physician Assistant Handbooks
Thomas Jefferson University -
East Falls Campus
Physician Assistant Program
Hayward Hall 224
4201 Henry Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19144
Phone: (215) 951-2908
Fax: (215) 951-2526