College of Health Professions
Master of Science
Hybrid (Online and On Campus)
2 - 3 Years
Call to ActionsApply Request Information
130 S. Ninth Street, Suite 960
Philadelphia, PA 19107
The purpose of the Advanced Placement Option (APO) is to assure sound preparation in midwifery, while minimizing repetition of learning activities for knowledge and skills already attained. The APO may allow the student to accelerate through the midwifery program or complete the program on a part-time basis.
This option is available to:
- Nurse Practitioners
- Midwives Educated Abroad*
- MEAC-Educated, Licensed, Certified Professional Midwives
- Other health care providers such as Physicians and Physician Assistants
Applicants for the APO complete the general admissions process for the MS in Midwifery or Post-Master's Certificate and, in addition, submit detailed documentation of previous professional education and clinical practice by completing the APO portfolio provided.
To be eligible for the APO, applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- Meet all of the MS or Graduate Certificate admissions requirements for midwifery.
- Provide documentation of successful completion of a nurse practitioner, midwifery, or medical education program accredited by the recognized regulatory body for the jurisdiction where the institution is located.
- Have no history of any professional credential revocation or pending disciplinary action.
- Have health care experience (paid or volunteer) in the United States for at least (1) year in the preceding five (5) years.
- If educated outside of the United States, take and submit results of the TOEFL or IELTS. Applicants who meet the cirteria below are eligible for an exam waiver:
- Students from countries where English is the official language.
- Graduate applicants: students who have studied in the United States of America for 3 or more years and received a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution based in the U.S.
- Students who do not qualify for an English Language Proficiency waiver may satisfy the requirement by submitting standardized exam results with the following minimum score. Minimum scores quarantee full application review but do not guarantee an offer of admission.
|TOEFL||85 (R:21, L:21, S:23, W:21)|
|IELTS||6.5 (R:6.5, S:6, W:7)|
|SAT Exam||A score of 508 or higher on Critical Reading Section|
*Due to VISA restrictions, we are only able to accept U.S. citizens and permanent residents into our program at this time. Midwives educated abroad, who are also U.S. citizens or permanent residents, are encouraged to apply.
Students accepted into the Advanced Placement Option will meet with their Faculty Advisor to discuss an Individualized Plan of Study based on their documented skills and experience. The Midwifery Institute faculty will review and approve the initial advanced placement IPS. The advanced placement IPS is subject to ongoing monitoring throughout the program. Advanced standing may be revoked if the student does not demonstrate adequate progress in the program or fails to demonstrate professionalism as described in the Student Handbook.
If you have questions about your unique situation or would like to request an APO portfolio, please contact the Midwifery Institute directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.