Operational Excellence (OpX) is the academic and professional field focused on developing and implementing evidence-based performance improvement methodologies needed to promote value and efficiency in healthcare. OpX professionals lead healthcare transformation by focusing on eliminating waste and improving system performance.
All coursework is 100% online and uses an accelerated term format specifically designed for working professionals. This enables students to focus on building one set of skills at a time, but still graduate at the same pace as traditional graduate degree programs.
Advanced Practice Certificate (APC)
The Advanced Practice Certificates focus on building knowledge and skills in operational excellence. The primary audiences include: health professions students, medical residents and fellows, clinical faculty, and healthcare professionals interested in moving into administrative roles. Students have the choice of earning the APC in:
- Operational Excellence
- Operational Excellence Education
The Graduate Certificate focuses on the foundations of OpX. This option contains five online courses and can be completed in one year.
The Masters of Science (MS) builds upon the foundational concepts presented in the Graduate Certificate and focuses on the advanced application of OpX concepts necessary for the analysis, management, and improvement of processes and the systems that deliver healthcare. This option contains 10 online courses and a capstone project, which is specifically designed to enhance the student’s career trajectory. This option can be completed in two years.
Professionals from all key stakeholder groups in healthcare are engaged in OpX, including:
- Physicians, nurses, pharmacists, and other clinicians
- Healthcare administrators
- Health IT specialists and analysts
- Integrated delivery systems
- 100% online with no synchronous learning requirement
- Curriculum designed by and for OpX professionals
- Accelerated 7-week term format tailored to working professionals
- Courses taught by expert practitioner faculty who bring extensive real-world experience to the classroom
- Complete a graduate certificate in one year or a master’s degree in two years by taking just one course at a time
The paradigm shift from volume to value challenges providers, clinicians, and administrators with providing high quality, safe, and effective care at lower costs. Healthcare cost reductions can be achieved through use of strategic and systematic improvement methods and tools. The OpX framework, grounded by Lean Thinking and Change Leadership, provides a model for driving improvements and enhancing quality of systems, processes, and services.