PhD in Population Health Science
Our PhD in Population Health Science prepares leaders to analyze the determinants of health and to develop, implement, and evaluate health interventions, and health policies and systems that improve the health and quality of life of populations.
Classes are a mix of onsite courses, held at Thomas Jefferson University's Center City campus, and online classes. Onsite courses are offered during the day and evening, accommodating working adults. Online courses are offered asynchronously using best practices and interactive learning, and are taught by faculty with years of experience and recognized expertise.
The PhD in Population Health Science requires completion of a minimum of 62 credits, including competency examination and dissertation. Students specialize in one of five areas:
- Applied Health Economics & Outcomes Research (AHEOR)
- Health Behavior Science
- Health Data Science
- Health Policy
- Healthcare Quality & Safety (HQS)
Students in the program come from a variety of fields and training backgrounds and have included:
- Students from MPH training programs, both new graduates and those already working in public health, seeking doctoral training
- Healthcare professionals- including Health information technology (HIT) professionals- working within healthcare settings, healthcare plans or management companies, academic organizations, community organizations, and public/government entities
- Pharmaceutical and biotechnology professionals working in outcomes research, new product development, biostatistics, regulatory, and medical science liaison field operations
The Jefferson Difference
The PhD program offers a hybrid learning experience, with a mix of 7-week long asynchronous online courses and 12-15 week long in-person courses. Both learning formats include small class sizes to ensure a high touch learning environment. Our online faculty are expert practitioners in their respective fields, and complete a 6-month intensive training program and on-boarding process before they enter the classroom. Our on-site PhD program faculty are accomplished researchers and scholars.
Students in the PhD our programs also receive on-going support throughout the program. During the program, we help you register for courses, obtain course materials, and liaise with other offices throughout campus to troubleshoot any problems you may encounter along the way.