Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
Education & Awareness
Annual Goals 2022-2023
- The committee finalized the Inclusive Course Design and Teaching Strategies Self-Assessment and Reflection guide for implementation and initiated the development of a companion resource guide. This tool was presented to the University Community at Faculty Days in June.
For more information about this tool , please contact Dr. Karla A. Bell (Karla.Bell@jefferson.edu) or Nannette Fromm (Nannette.Fromm@jefferson.edu).
- The committee offered quarterly lunch and learn sessions for faculty and staff. Topics included Native American/Indigenous Heritage Month and Gender Inequality in Scientific Careers.
- The committee facilitated quarterly “Conversations that Matter” for JCRS students to provide a space where all perspectives are welcomed, and to engage together to seek to understand perspectives on various subjects.
Annual Goals 2021-2022
- The committee developed and piloted an Inclusive Course Design and Teaching Strategies Self-Assessment and Reflection guide for faculty to promote reflection and action toward developing and delivering more inclusive course design and teaching strategies.
- The Associate Dean for Student Affairs facilitated book clubs for faculty and staff. Faculty and staff were able to choose among 3 books, which were provided to them by the College. These included Race Talk and the Conspiracy of Silence: Understanding and Facilitating Difficult Dialogues on Race (Derald Wing Sue), The Person You Mean to Be: How Good People Fight Bias (Dolly Chugh), and Biased (Jennifer L. Eberhardt)
- Faculty and Staff participated in a virtual lecture entitled “Teaching and Leading with Racial Equity in Mind,” facilitated by Dr. Stephen Brookfield.
- A student orientation video was developed to introduce new students to the members of the IDEA committee and inform them about college-wide DEI initiatives.