The Rothner Residence (1951), one of many mid-century modern houses located on West Schoolhouse Lane in East Falls, was constructed for Dr, Jacoby T. Rothner and Mrs. Leah M. (Margolis) Rothner. The building has retained its use as a residence, but has passed ownership five times and seen multiple alterations to its original design and footprint. These physical changes have not, however, compromised the integrity of the building’s historic fabric and its significance as an example of modernist architecture. The period of significance for the Rothner Residence spans from the start of the house’s construction in 1948 to the end of the Rothners’ ownership of the property in 1961. In 2010 the building was listed on the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places.
The Conservation Management Plan (CMP) represents in-depth analysis of the Rothner Residence by Historic Preservation students during the spring 2020 semester. The CMP includes extensive archival research on the house as well as delineating philosophical and practical aspects of preservation of buildings from this period. Students produced an energy audit and sustainability study, reports on conservation issues specific to butterfly roofs and glass blocks, guidelines for interior rehabilitation and plans for a potential addition that safeguards the building’s historically significant features.
Students, faculty involved:
Students: Talcia Brown, Alan Davidson, Rose Davis, Alison Eberhardt, Riley Gardiner, Adam Hoover, Srinithi Jaganathan, Alex Jones, Grace Messner, Helen Phan, Jessica Radomski, and Spencer Rubino
Faculty: Suzanne Singletary, Suzanna Barucco, Lorraine Schnabel, Kate Cowing
- Rothner Residence : Conservation Management Plan
- Rothner Residence: Maintenance Plan - Grace Messner
Pages #4 and #5 of Grace Messner, Preservation Maintenance
- Rothner Residence: Guidelines for Interior Rehabilitation - Adam Hoover
Pages #1, 8, 9 from Adam Hoover, Guidelines