Connect with Us
Letter from the Director
Welcome to the landscape architecture program at Thomas Jefferson University!
We strive for equitable and sustainable design through hands-on learning projects. Our accredited program is where you will not only become a great designer but learn the leadership skills you need to change the world!
Through our program you will learn how to:
- Mitigate climate change
- Propose new habitats for wildlife and design healthy cities utilizing social and ecological equity strategies
- Work in neighborhoods that need our expertise
- Collaborate with members of the community who benefit from our design skills and knowledge
Jefferson is committed to providing design excellence and leadership in confronting ecological issues of the natural environment, and cultural and social issues that affect neighborhoods – particularly those in need of revitalization.
To that end, we want to tell you about our Park in a Truck initiative, established in 2017, that brings landscape architecture students and faculty, high school students, and community stakeholders together to create community owned green spaces in Philadelphia and beyond. The students and I developed a DIY toolkit that shows parks that communities have built with the Mantua, Kingsessing and West Kensington communities in Philadelphia (pictured) with 3 more on the way!
For our efforts, we have been nationally recognized nationally:
- Social Good recognition from Fast Company
- Green Building United Groundbreaker Award
- Featured on 6ABC for our vacant lot transformation
We’ve also received a number of grants to keep our work going:
- $480,000 grant from National Fish and Wildlife to develop a network of pollinator habitat in Southwest Philadelphia
- $350,000 grant from Robert Wood Johnson to research structural racism and self-esteem in youth ages eleven to thirteen
Our students are involved in all aspects of the project – starting with research and design, all the way through the park build. And we offer internships to many eligible students.
Our upper-level landscape architecture design studios are taught by renown international top landscape architects — one of the key advantages of studying landscape architecture in Philadelphia. Our graduates are extremely successful in landing internships and/or full-time employment at some of the best firms in the country, like:
- OLIN Partnership
- Ayers St. Gross
- Oehme Van Sweden
- Jonathan Alderson
- And more!
Please reach out with any questions you might have about our program. Join us as we make the world healthier and more livable space!
Kimberlee Douglas, MLA PLA LEED G.A.
Director, Landscape Architecture Program
Professor Douglas was asked to discuss “What is human-centered and how does it impact the design process”. The presentation highlights the human-centered design approach using case studies from the landscape architecture design studios.
Notable Accomplishments of the Director, Honors + Awards
- Awarded American Society of Landscape Architect's (ASLA) Community Service Award
- Awarded PA StateScoop Award for State Innovation of the Year (co-awardee)
- Philadelphia University Nexus Learning Award
- Community Design Award for Conceptual Master Plan, Nebinger Elementary School
- Montgomery Award for Cynwyd Heritage Trail
- PA/DE American Society of Landscape Architects Merit Award Cynwyd Heritage Trail
- PA/DE American Society of Landscape Architects Merit Award Linwood Park
- Board Member Penn Design Alumni Board