Letter from the Director
As director of the Jefferson BLA program - I welcome you to our academic website.
Jefferson’s Landscape Architecture Program has a mission of sustainable urban design through experiential learning projects. Our accredited program is committed to providing leadership in confronting ecological issues of the natural environment and cultural and social issues that affect urban neighborhoods, particularly those in need of revitalization.
What really makes our Landscape Architecture Program unique is that for most design studio projects we partner with community groups, schools, or governmental organizations to address "real" environmental and community issues.
Our upper level landscape architecture design studios are taught by renown international top landscape architects - one of the key advantages of studying landscape architecture in Philadelphia. Our graduates being extremely successful in landing internships and/or full-time employment at some of the best firms in the country, e.g., OLIN Partnership, Andropogon, Ayers St. Gross, Oehme Van Sweden, Jonathan Alderson—just to name a few.
Our success led to the creation of the Master of Science in Geodesign — the first such program in the world. This program offers our students a 4+1 option: 4-year BLA + 1-Yr MS post-professional degree in Geodesign. We enourage you to visit the MS in Geodesign program page to learn how you can expand your horizons.
Please contact me with any questions that you might have about our program or a career in landscape architecture. I would love to meet you in-person and give you a tour of our facilities and have you meet our students and faculty.
Kimberlee Douglas, MLA PLA LEED G.A.
Director, Landscape Architecture Program
Professor Douglas was asked to discuss “What is human-centered and how does it impact the design process”. The presentation highlights the human-centered design approach using case studies from the landscape architecture design studios.
Notable Accomplishments of the Director, Honors + Awards
- Awarded American Society of Landscape Architect's (ASLA) Community Service Award
- Awarded PA StateScoop Award for State Innovation of the Year (co-awardee)
- Philadelphia University Nexus Learning Award
- Community Design Award for Conceptual Master Plan, Nebinger Elementary School
- Montgomery Award for Cynwyd Heritage Trail
- PA/DE American Society of Landscape Architects Merit Award Cynwyd Heritage Trail
- PA/DE American Society of Landscape Architects Merit Award Linwood Park
- Board Member Penn Design Alumni Board