Certificates are thematic 12 credit experiences that focus on applying communication design strategies to contemporary health challenges. The certificates are not cumulative and can be taken in any order. There are two options.
- Design and Communication for Disease Prevention, Management and Cure: Ethics and Accessibility Focus (fall 2020) (offered in fall semesters): Students can self-select topics for exploration within this theme. Sample topics include (but are not limited to): infectious diseases, vaccinations, epidemics, genetic conditions, chronic conditions, epidemiology, substance abuse and addiction, diet and nutrition, mental health, etc.
- Design and Communication for Life Stages and Identity: Sustainable Systems Focus (spring 2021) (offered in spring semesters): Students can self-select topics for exploration within this theme. Sample topics include (but are not limited to): gender, sexuality, personal identity, reproduction, maternity, birth, sexual health, puberty, aging and geriatric issues, diversity and equity in healthcare, injury prevention and safety at different life stages, etc.
Design & Health Backgrounds
- Foundational courses may be recommended upon review for some applicants who do not have a design background.
- Laptop (Mac encouraged) with Adobe suite
- Internal candidates are likely to receive advanced standing to learn more.