Health Data Science is an ever-evolving multi-disciplinary field that involves using statistical inference, algorithmic development, and technology to make insights about data.
To uncover actionable insights, skilled healthcare data scientists are needed to:
- Combine large disparate data sources
- Build statistical and predictive models
- Create effective data visualizations
- Communicate findings to technical and non-technical audiences
- Acquire and provide data analytics leadership for their organizations
Our Health Data Science program is a HIMSS Approved Education Partner (AEP). AEP provides focused education to current and future health information and technology professionals with HIMSS-approved review courses and training programs, including preparation for CAHIMS and CPHIMS certifications.
Program Options & Tracks
Our Health Data Science (HDS) program has two degree options: a graduate certificate and a master's degree. All coursework is 100% online and uses an accelerated term format specifically designed for working professionals. This enables students to focus on building one set of skills at a time, but still graduate at the same pace as traditional graduate degree programs.
The Graduate Certificate focuses on the foundations of HDS. This option contains five online courses and can be completed in one year.
The Master of Science (MS) builds upon the foundation concepts presented in the Graduate Certificate and focuses on the advanced application of HDS concepts necessary for the applied practice of health data science in industry and research settings. This option contains 10 online courses and a capstone, which is specificially designed to enhance the student's career trajectory. This option can be completed in two years.
Two track options allow students to focus their studies in HDS:
The Managament Track prepares students to lead data science initiatives in their organizations (whether providers, payers, vendors, employers, consulting, or governmental agencies) of steadily increasing scope and importance. This track provides students with competencies in the latest HDS methods including statistics and predictive analytics, as well as the ability to interpret the results of, and gain insights on, data. These competencies provide graduates with the practical expertise to help improve the demonstrable quality, safety, and value of their organizations. It develops skills to plan and lead evidence-based practice implementations. This track targets students early in their careers who seek leading roles that require technical expertise, as well as more seasoned professionals (including clinicians) who aspire to become mission-critical chief analytics officers for their organizations.
The Research Track will prepare students to conduct HDS research either academically or as a part of an organization. Students acquire competencies in data wrangling, statistical and predictive analytics, and the latest machine learning methods for work on real-world HDS projects. The targeted audience includes individuals who seek the technical expertise to lead HDS research efforts with providers, payers, employers, data vendors, consulting, and governmental agencies.
HDS is used in a variety of healthcare settings. Consequently, our students and graduates come from a diverse range of backgrounds, including:
- Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs), Clinically Integrated Networks, and other integrated delivery systems
- Large, multi-site healthcare delivery organizations
- Health insurance plans or third-party administrators
- Clinicians who are interested in focusing on statistics and data, and turning insights into action
- Health information exchanges
- Population health management companies
- Public/government entities engaged in healthcare or public health oversight
- Public health surveillance agencies
- Hospital associations and other professional or trade associations
- Pharmaceutical, device, and biotechnology industries
- Healthcare management consulting firms
- Healthcare-focused technology companies
- 100% online with no synchronous learning requirement
- Globally-focused curriculum designed by and for Health Data Science professionals
- Curriculum tracks for management or research provides options for career trajectory
- Accelerated seven-week term format tailored to working professional
- Courses taught by expert practitioner faculty who bring their extensive real-world experience to the classroom
- Complete a graduate certificate in one year or a master’s degree in two years by taking just one course at a time
Our HDS program is designed for quantitative training in statistics, predictive modeling, and machine learning to launch a student's career. Students are prepared for careers where there is a growing need for professionals who can learn from data and analytics to address critical healthcare questions. This program is differentiated from other graduate programs as its faculty come from all segments of industry and academia and integrate real-world experience into the classroom environment, with a special focus on electronic health record data.