Health Data Science is an ever-evolving multi-disciplinary field that involves using statistical inference, algorithmic development, and technology to make insights about data.
To uncover actionable insights, skilled healthcare data scientists are needed to:
- Combine large disparate data sources
- Build statistical and predictive models
- Create effective data visualizations
- Communicate findings to technical and non-technical audiences
Our Health Data Science program is a HIMSS Approved Education Partner (AEP). AEP provides focused education to current and future health information and technology professionals with HIMSS-approved review courses and training programs, including preparation for CAHIMS and CPHIMS certifications.
Program Options & Tracks
Our Health Data Science (HDS) program has two degree options: a graduate certificate and a master's degree. All coursework is 100% online and uses an accelerated term format specifically designed for working professionals. This enables students to focus on building one set of skills at a time, but still graduate at the same pace as traditional graduate degree programs.
The Graduate Certificate focuses on the foundations of HDS. This option contains five online courses and can be completed in one year.
The Master’s of Science (MS) builds upon the foundation concepts presented in the Graduate Certificate and focuses on the advanced application of HDS concepts necessary for the applied practice of health data science in industry and research settings. This option contains 10 online courses and a capstone project, which is specificially designed to enhance the student's career trajectory. This option can be completed in two years.
Two track options allow students to focus their studies in HDS:
The Management Track will prepare students to manage HDS projects and research in the industry. It will provide students with competencies in HDS data, statistics, predictive analytics, and the ability to interpret the results and gain insights on data. It will expose students to the current software in HDS. The target audience will include individuals who wish to start a career in the healthcare industry and individuals in healthcare who want to expand or advance their career.
The Research Track will prepare students to conduct HDS research. It will provide students with the strong data wrangling, statistical, and predictive analytics competencies to work on HDS projects. The targeted audience will include individuals who want to perform HDS research in industry.
HDS is used in a variety of healthcare settings. Consequently, our students and graduates come from a diverse range of backgrounds, including:
- Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs) and other integrated delivery systems
- Large, multi-site healthcare delivery organizations
- Health insurance plans or third-party administrators
- Clinicians who are interested in focusing on statistics and data, and turning insights into action
- Health information exchanges
- Population health management companies
- Public/government entities engaged in healthcare or public health oversight
- Public health surveillance agencies
- Hospital associations and other professional or trade associations
- Pharmaceutical, device, and biotechnology industries
- Healthcare management consulting firms
- Healthcare-focused technology companies
- 100% online with no synchronous learning requirement
- Globally-focused curriculum designed by and for Health Data Science professionals
- Curriculum tracks for management or research provides options for career trajectory
- Accelerated seven-week term format tailored to working professional
- Courses taught by expert practitioner faculty who bring their extensive real-world experience to the classroom
- Complete a graduate certificate in one year or a master’s degree in two years by taking just one course at a time
Our HDS program is designed for quantitative training in statistics, data and predictive modeling to launch your career. Students will be prepared for careers where there is a growing need for professionals who can learn from data and analytics to address critical healthcare questions. This program is differentiated from other graduate programs as the faculty come from industry and integrate real-world experience into the classroom environment.