Outreach & Cultural Competency
To increase awareness of Refugee Health Partners both at Jefferson and in the refugee community by forging and maintaining contacts in the community.
To train allied health professionals in practicing refugee competent and conscious care.
What We Do
Outreach and Cultural Competency committee focuses on increasing awareness of Refugee Health Partners and its services on two fronts: within the Jefferson population and, more importantly, within the Refugee community. We work to maintain and develop new relationships with partners in the community, and is in charge of recruitment and various RHP events at Jefferson.
We inform students about the different refugee populations we work with, the unique challenges associated with working with patients from diverse cultural backgrounds, and promote cultural humility.
- Plan recruitment events at Jefferson.
- Bi-annual RHP newsletter for the Refugee community detailing what RHP has done.
- Establishing Jefferson student shadowing at the Refugee Pediatric Clinic at Jefferson Hospital.
- Organizing events and talks to increase awareness of Refugee health concerns and issues.
- Presentations to prepare students for their interactions with refugees.
- Lunchtime talks with leaders of different refugee communities.
- Collaborate with the Jefferson’s Department of Family Medicine to plan a Global Health conference.