International East Falls Students


Name: Hannah Bar-Giora
Position: Director, International & Exchange Student Programs Office
Organization: Jefferson - East Falls Campus
Contact Number(s):
Name: Justine Chevallier
Position: Office Coordinator, International & Exchange Student Programs Office
Organization: Jefferson - East Falls Campus

Kanbar Campus Center, Suite 102
Philadelphia, PA

Contact Number(s):

Administrative Processes

Pennsylvania Driver’s License

Individuals who possess a valid foreign driver's license from their country are authorized to drive in Pennsylvania for up to one year from their date of entry into the United States, or upon expiration of their foreign license, whichever comes first. You may also use your international driving permits. Check out the DMV website for more information here.

Pennsylvania will only issue driver’s licenses for international visitors who have I-20 and DS-2019 forms that are at least one year in duration. If your I-20 or DS-2019 has been issued for at least one year, you can apply for a driver’s license.

Note that car insurance is required for car owners in Pennsylvania and can be expensive.

Social Security Number (SSN)

The Social Security Number is a tax identification number that is often used for many other purposes, such as applying for a driver’s license or phone services. F-1 students are eligible for an SSN only if they are employed. You can contact the Office of International and Exchange Student Programs for a support letter and application process.

If you obtain a Social Security Card, keep the number and card in a safe place. The Social security number can be used for identity theft so always be careful about sharing your number, even when you are asked for it. Ask why your number is needed, how it will be used and what will happen if you refuse. Be proactive by learning how to take action to keep your SSA information safe.