J-1 Application Process
An international scholar may apply for the J-1 visa to come to Jefferson for research. In order to do this, the scholar will need an official U.S. Department of State document, the "Certificate of Eligibility for the J-1 Exchange Visitor Status," otherwise known as the "DS-2019."
The process below lists the steps to be taken for a sponsoring department to bring a J-1 Scholar. All departments are required to complete the J-1 request (Step 3) 3-5 months in advance before the J-1 scholar begins employment.
- Sponsoring department submits the Sponsorship Request in the International Services Portal
- The Office of International Affairs (OIA) confirms the eligibility of J-1 according to the regulations set by the Department of State and the Department of Labor
- Sponsoring department submits all the required forms and documents to complete the request in the International Services Portal. This step must be completed 3-5 months before the requested start date
- OIA reviews the J-1 request
- Export Compliance Officer reviews the J-1 request
- OIA issues the DS-2019 Form and ships it to prospective J-1 Exchange Visitor
- Prospective J-1 Exchange Visitor applies for J-1 visa at the U.S. Embassy
- J-1 Exchange Visitor notifies the sponsoring department, HR, and OIA of their Visa approval and flight schedule
- J-1 Exchange Visitor completes a check-in with OIA and all other mandatory onboarding procedures, such as immunization clearance with Jefferson Occupational Health Network