Scholars & Employees

J-1 Application Process

An international scholar may apply for the J-1 visa to come to Jefferson for research.  In order to do this, the scholar will need an official U.S. Department of State document, the "Certificate of Eligibility for the J-1 Exchange Visitor Status" othewise known as the "DS-2019."

Department Completes J-1 Exchange Visitor Request Form

    • Complete the J-1 Exchange Visitor Request Form
    • If the scholar candidate is a medical doctor, the department must attach a signed certification printed on department letterhead (download template and make changes in the bracketed areas-->).
    • Include all of the accompanying documents.
    • DEPARTMENT MUST send the application and the accompanying documents to
    Sample Letter from Hosting Department

    Certification of No Patient Contact
    (only for candidates with clinical medical degrees)

  2. Office of Internation Affairs Issues DS-2019 Form
    • The Office of International Affairs will issue the actual Form DS-2019.
    • The Office of International Affairs will send out the DS-2019 and pre-arrival materials to the prospecitve J-1 Exchange Visitor.
  3. Prospective J-1 Exchange Visitor Applies Applies for Visa
  4. Office of International Affairs Makes a Check-in Appointment with J-1 

    The department must be in contact with the scholar so that when he or she arrives, they can contact the Office of International Affairs to set up an appointment for check-in and orientation. The scholar must bring the following documents to the check-in:

    • Passport/Visa
    • DS-2019 Form (and family's DS-2019 forms if accompanied)
    • Proof of health insurance
    • I-94 number