Student Health Insurance Plan
All matriculated students who a) have any on-campus experience and/or b) have a clinical/internship are required to have and annually verify health insurance coverage (see exemptions below).
- If the academic program is fully online and has no clinical/internship, verification is not required and students are not eligible to purchase insurance through the university sponsored plan.
- If the academic program is in the School of Continuing and Professional Studies (SCPS), verification is not required and students are not eligible to purchase insurance through the university sponsored plan.
- If enrolled in a certificate program without a clinical/internship component.
Every fall semester, students who are required to have health insurance that meets the University’s requirements must enroll or waive coverage in the Student Portal by the enrollment/waiver deadline.
- Failure to enroll/waive by the deadline results in AUTOMATIC enrollment in the University sponsored plan and the student is responsible for the premium for the 12-month policy.
- Students whose first term is not fall semester, will have to enroll/waive during their first semester and again, during the following annual enrollment/verification period.
Upcoming Insurance Enrollment Period
Failure to enroll/waive by deadline will result in automatic enrollment in the United Healthcare plan for the year
Summer/Pre-Fall Deadline (new enrollment only)
Opens: March 20, 2023
Closes: June 12, 2023
Fall Dates: TBD
How to Enroll/Waive Insurance
- Once a student has registered for classes two things occur:
a.) Students will be able to accept or waive health insurance coverage in the first student portal (please allow for 48 hours after registering for classes before attempting to login).
b.) The health insurance premium is placed on the student’s account until the insurance is waived (within the waiver period).
- Go to the First Student Insurance Portal
- Select Thomas Jefferson University from drop down menu
- Select either “I want to Enroll in the insurance plan” or “I want to waive the insurance plan”
- Follow prompts from the portal to enroll or waive coverage