Health Insurance Policy
Effective Date: 2022-2023 Academic Year
All matriculated students are required to have health insurance and must complete the enrollment/waiver process for each academic year. If students have health insurance through another provider, such coverage must meet the stated minimum requirements set forth below to qualify for a waiver. If students do not have coverage through another provider that meets the minimum requirements, then they will be enrolled in the University-sponsored student health insurance plan. Once enrolled, there are no refunds or cancellations after the deadline, except for ineligibility or entry into the armed forces. The Policy is a non-renewable one-year term policy and does not guarantee enrollment in the next policy year.
Students who satisfy one of the criteria set forth below are exempt from the health insurance requirement and no action will be required:
- If the academic program is fully online and has no clinical/internship
- If the academic program is in Continuing and Professional Studies (CPS)
- If enrolled in a certificate program without a clinical/internship component then verification is not required and students are not eligible to purchase insurance through the university sponsored plan.
Minimum Requirements to Waive University-sponsored Coverage
- Plan is currently active and provides coverage for the entire academic year while a registered student.
- Plan provides comprehensive coverage in the Jefferson campus area (access to doctors, specialists, hospitals, labs, pharmacies, and behavioral health providers without restriction or limitations). Please note, out of state Medicaid and many HMO or EPO plans do not provide comprehensive out‐of‐area coverage. Urgent or Emergency only coverage does not satisfy this requirement.
- Plan is ACA (Affordable Care Act) compliant and filed and approved in the United States.