Applied Health Economics & Outcomes Research
1 - 2 Years
Pharma/Biotech/ Device/Clinical Professionals
Applied Health Economics & Outcomes Research (AHEOR) is an academic discipline that establishes the efficacy of a product, service, or treatment; compares its effectiveness to other interventions; and considers its incremental cost efficiency to determine optimal clinical application and overall economic value. Demand for AHEOR professionals continues to be strong globally as rising healthcare delivery and pharmaceutical costs continue to challenge every nation’s economy.
- 100% online with no in-person or synchronous learning requirements
- Globally focused curriculum designed by and for AHEOR professionals
- Accelerated 7-week semester format tailored to working professionals
- Courses taught by expert practitioner faculty who bring their extensive real-world experience to the classroom
- Complete a graduate certificate in one year or a master’s degree in two years by taking just one course at a time
Our AHEOR program is built upon 20+ years of experience working with some of the largest firms in the pharmaceutical industry to train their leaders in market access, budget impact analysis, economic evaluation, and comparative effectiveness research. Unlike other graduate programs, the faculty in our AHEOR program have significant industry experience—with many still working with insurance companies, drug and device manufacturers, and population health management consultancies.
Program Options & Tracks
Our AHEOR program has two degree options and the master’s degree has two tracks. All coursework is 100% online and uses an accelerated semester format specifically designed for working professionals. This enables students to focus on building one set of skills at a time, but still graduate at the same pace as traditional graduate degree programs.
The Graduate Certificate focuses on the foundations of AHEOR. This option contains five online courses and can be completed in one year.
The Masters of Science (MS) builds upon the foundation concepts presented in the Graduate Certificate and focuses on the advanced application of concepts necessary for the modern practice of AHEOR in research and industry settings. This option contains 10 online courses and a capstone project, which is specifically designed to enhance the student’s career trajectory. This option can be completed in two years.
Master's Degree Tracks
The master's degree option provides students the opportunity to study and apply AHEOR concepts in different healthcare environments around the world.
Students wishing to practice within the United States will learn how to apply AHEOR concepts to the organization, delivery, and financing of healthcare specific to the unique aspects of the US healthcare system.
Students wishing to practice outside of the US will learn how to apply AHEOR concepts to other healthcare environments, such as socialized and nationalized healthcare models, developing markets, and cultural differences impacting subjective measures in those settings.
AHEOR is used in a variety of healthcare settings. Consequently, our students and graduates come from a diverse range of backgrounds, including:
- Pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and device industry professionals working in outcomes research, product reimbursement, medical communications, new product development, biostatistics, regulatory, and medical science liaison field operations
- Governmental, policy, and public health professionals conducting outcomes research, cost-effectiveness analysis, regulatory development and oversight, and advising on changes to Medicaid, Medicare, Veterans Administration, and other government funded programs
- Managers of health plans, actuaries, government affairs officers, provider managers, and others involved in packaging, selling, servicing, and managing health insurance products
- Human resource professionals, insurance brokers, benefits consultants, finance staff, and others involved in purchasing and evaluating health plan benefits on behalf of employed populations
- Students with undergraduate degrees in health policy, economics, political science, and public health and students with clinical degrees who are interested in focusing on optimal clinical effectiveness and financial efficiency in healthcare.
- Economics of Health Insurance
- Hospital Finance and Accounting
- Basic Economic Modeling
- Subjective Outcomes in Health Evaluation
Master’s Degree (above plus)
- Epidemiology for Outcomes Research
- Advanced Economic Modeling
- Advanced Statistical Concepts in AHEOR
- Advanced Research Methods in AHEOR
- Economic and Outcomes Analyses
- Capstone Seminar and Project
The capstone project is designed by the student and is tailored to his/her career trajectory. Visit our Student Resources section for course descriptions, capstone requirements, elective options, and more.
The AHEOR program prepares graduates to be successful in the ever-changing healthcare environment driven by data and analytics by preparing them to:
- Compare historical trends to current issues in U.S. healthcare organization, delivery and financing.
- Explore the impact of government policies on health insurance products.
- Examine the strengths and weaknesses of research design and statistical methods in evaluating product or service efficacy.
- Discuss the key concepts and applications of quantitative modeling in economic evaluations in health care.
Master’s Degree (above plus)
- Analyze the structure and function of U.S. healthcare institutions with strong emphasis on financing and delivery.
- Apply analytic methods (e.g., burden of illness, evidence evaluation, statistics and research design, financial impact, cost-effectiveness and decision analysis) to inform resource allocation, relative value assessments, and policy initiatives.
- Interpret and apply conceptual frameworks used in AHEOR, such as economic metrics (e.g., cost-effectiveness), quality of life evaluations (e.g., utilities and patient-reported outcomes) and healthcare technology assessment evaluations (e.g., budget impact analysis, guidelines, formularies, and utilization incentives and disincentives).
- Communicate policy implications to various stakeholders and decision-makers that reflect AHEOR concepts and techniques.
- Assume leadership roles in the decision process regarding the allocation of healthcare resources.
We review applications using a holistic perspective that carefully considers all available information without imposing specific minimums on any individual requirement. In general, we look for:
- A prior GPA of approximately 3.0 or higher in undergraduate or graduate coursework;
- Competitive standardized test scores near or above the 50th percentile (a waiver available);
- An articulate application essay conveying a passion for the field and commitment to completing the program;
- A resume/CV that demonstrates a trajectory consistent with, or shows promise for success in, the applicant’s chosen degree program; and
- Recommendation letters attesting to the applicant’s ability to be successful in the program.
Ultimately, we look for applicants who have a passion for the work and the ability to successfully complete the program.
Start Your Application
- Start your application online anytime
- No application fee for master’s degree programs
- Begin classes in January or September (some availability in May)
If you have questions about the program, please contact the Program Director Dr. David Delgado.
If you have questions about the application process, please send an email to JCPH.Admissions@Jefferson.edu or call us toll-free at 1-888-71-APPLY (27759).