Population Health Intelligence
1 - 2 Years
Population Health Intelligence® (PHI) is a term we coined to describe a new discipline, the role of which is to collect, organize, harmonize, analyze, disseminate and act upon the data available to clinicians, health system leaders, the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry, and healthcare payers. In today’s dynamic healthcare environment, health data analytic experts are in high demand.
- 100% online with no in-person or synchronous learning requirements
- Globally focused curriculum designed by and for PHI professionals
- Accelerated seven-week semester format tailored to working professional
- Courses taught by expert practitioner faculty who bring their extensive real-world experience to the classroom
- Complete a graduate certificate in one year or a master’s degree in two years by taking just one course at a time
In order to make the transition to a healthcare system that rewards outcomes rather than volume, clinicians and other healthcare leaders must learn how to do more with the health data they have and be able to incorporate other disparate, but relevant, sources of information. True population health improvement will be driven by insights derived and distilled from these vast amounts of heterogeneous and distinct data that are no longer limited to the physician office or hospital medical record system.
Program Options & Tracks
Our PHI program has two degree options: a graduate certificate and a master’s degree. All coursework is 100% online and uses an accelerated semester format specifically designed for working professionals. This enables students to focus on building one set of skills at a time, but still graduate at the same pace as traditional graduate degree programs.
The Graduate Certificate focuses on the foundations of PHI. This option contains five online courses and can be completed in one year.
The Master’s of Science (MS) builds upon the foundation concepts presented in the Graduate Certificate and focuses on the advanced application of data analytics, data governance, and policy concepts necessary for population health improvement. This option contains 10 online courses and a capstone project, which is specifically designed to enhance the student’s career trajectory. This option can be completed in two years.
The PHI program is designed for professionals with at least two years of experience in any sector of the healthcare or public health systems, including:
- Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs) and other integrated delivery systems
- Large, multi-site healthcare delivery organizations
- Health insurance plans or third-party administrators
- Health information exchanges
- Population health management companies
- Public/government entities engaged in healthcare or public health oversight
- Public health surveillance agencies
- Hospital associations and other professional or trade associations
- Pharmaceutical, device, and biotechnology industries
- Healthcare management consulting firms
- Healthcare-focused technology companies
- Essentials of Population Health
- Epidemiology & Evidence for Outcomes Research in Population Health
- Advanced Statistics for AHEOR
- Health Informatics & Analytics
- Data Science
Master’s Degree (above plus)
- Advanced Statistics for Data Analytics
- Specialized Data Topics
- Data Presentation Architecture
- Implementation Science
- Analytics Leadership
- Capstone Seminar & Project
The capstone project is designed by the student and is tailored to his/her career trajectory. Visit our Student Resources section for course descriptions, capstone requirements, elective options, and more.
The PHI program prepares graduates to be successful in the ever-changing healthcare environment that is driven by data and analytics by preparing them to:
- Identify and respond to socio-economic, environmental and behavioral determinants of health.
- Assess a health system’s hardware and software to determine its security compliance and conformance with purchasing requirements.
- Develop a strategy for identifying and integrating disparate, non-health and population-level data into clinical decision making.
- Apply principles of effective and ethical data governance.
- Account for the impact of health law and regulations on the collection, aggregation, analysis and presentation of data.
Master’s Degree (above plus)
- Evaluate questions of efficiency and effectiveness in health care employing an array of quantitative methods used by health analytics practitioners.
- Apply management and leadership skills to data-driven decision-making.
- Develop a strategy for analyzing and assessing payer contracts for at-risk populations.
- Adopt data visualization techniques that contribute to effective presentations and population health management dashboards.
- Assess population health initiatives employing program implementation and evaluation techniques.
- Apply epidemiological research methods to identify factors affecting patient care and health outcomes.
We review applications using a holistic perspective that carefully considers all available information without imposing specific minimums on any individual requirement. In general, we look for:
- A prior GPA of approximately 3.0 or higher in undergraduate or graduate coursework;
- Competitive standardized test scores near or above the 50th percentile (a waiver available);
- An articulate application essay conveying a passion for the field and commitment to completing the program;
- A resume/CV that demonstrates a trajectory consistent with, or shows promise for success in, the applicant’s chosen degree program; and
- Recommendation letters attesting to the applicant’s ability to be successful in the program.
Ultimately, we look for applicants who have a passion for the work and the ability to successfully complete the program.
Start Your Application
- Start your application online anytime
- No application fee for master’s degree programs
- Begin classes in January or September (some availability in May)
If you have questions about the program, please contact the Program Director Ms. Karen Walsh.
If you have questions about the application process, please send an email toJCPH.Admissions@Jefferson.edu or call us toll-free at 1-888-71-APPLY (27759).