- Program Director, Adult Critical Care Medicine Fellowship Program
- Assistant Professor, Anesthesiology
- Assistant Director, Adult Critical Care Medicine Fellowship Program
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Anesthesiology
The Department of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital and the Sidney Kimmel Medical College offers a one year ACGME accredited Fellowship Program in Anesthesiology Critical Care Medicine. The goal of this fellowship program is to provide medical knowledge and procedural expertise which will prepare trainees for the care of critically ill patients with all nature of complex medical and surgical pathology.
Applications are accepted through the SF Match
- A valid Pennsylvania medical license
- Graduation from an ACGME residency
Applicants interested in the Dual Training opportunity for Adult Cardiothoracic Anesthesia and Critical Care Medicine can visit this page for more information.
Clinical Program Description
Our Fellowship provides exposure to a variety of complex patient pathology over the wide array of intensive care units at Jefferson University Hospital, a tertiary referral hospital in center City Philadelphia. Fellows have the opportunity to rotate through Cardiac Surgical, General Surgical, Medical, and Neurologic intensive care units during training.
Educational Program Description
- Ensure that the fellow becomes an expert in the comprehensive management of critically ill patients with a focus on mechanical circulatory support, bedside echocardiography, complex cardiothoracic and respiratory disease, trauma, transplant, as well as general care of patients with critical illness.
- Become proficient in utilizing bedside point of care ultrasound to guide decision making and allow for potential certification in critical care echocardiography (CCE) through the National Board of Echocardiography (NBE).
- Cultivate leadership and teaching skills in the management of intensive care unit rounding, as well as the communication and coordination of multidisciplinary teams.
- Instill adeptness in the art of compassionate care and palliative medicine.
Fellows complete thirteen 4-week rotations with the majority of time spent in the 16 bed Cardiovascular intensive care unit working alongside surgeons and consultant services in the management of postoperative cardiac surgical patients. Other ICU rotations include general surgical/trauma, neurologic, and medical with opportunity for elective rotations with any of the ICU consultant service lines, research, or echocardiography.
Didactic program includes weekly lectures on advanced topics in critical care management as well as opportunity to participate in Anesthesiology Grand Rounds and Cardiac Surgery Morbidity and Mortality Conference.
Fellows are expected to actively participate in ICU quality improvement projects. In addition, fellows will submit case reports and original research (if applicable) with faculty supervision and guidance.
Dual Training in Adult Cardiothoracic Anesthesia & Critical Care Medicine
We are offering combined fellowship positions in Adult Cardiothoracic Anesthesia (ACTA) and Adult Critical Care Medicine (ACCM). Visit this link to learn more.