Updated: March 19, 2020
Revised Policy on Jefferson-Related or Sponsored Travel for Students, Faculty and Staff
The University is continuing its policy of suspending all university-related or sponsored travel for students, faculty and staff. This includes attendance at professional conferences, meetings and faculty-led short courses. This policy will stay in effect through August 31, 2021 at the earliest.
Student clinical rotations are not affected by this policy.
A faculty or staff member may request authorization to attend a training program or other event that is necessary for their professional responsibilities or required certification/credentialing, or request professional travel related to the pandemic. In that case, authorization must be provided by the faculty or staff member’s supervisors up to the level of the chair in SKMC, or the dean in all other colleges, and then sent to Matt Baker (academic faculty), Brian Squilla (research personnel) or Jeff Cromarty (all others) for final approval.
This policy will be re-evaluated regularly and revisions will be communicated as they occur.
Given the changing nature of the COVID-19 epidemic throughout the country and the world, it is difficult to create a consistent and durable policy for employee and student travel. Moreover, state laws in New Jersey differ from those in Pennsylvania making it even more challenging to create an enterprise-wide policy.
This policy is intended to balance the varying state regulations for healthcare workers and students, the complex and changing COVID-19 epidemiology, the risk of employees and students bringing COVID-19 infection to the workplace or campus, and the workforce needs of Jefferson.
All faculty, students and staff should refer to the Travel Guidelines sent via jefferson.edu email on November 6 and December 14th for more information.
As you know, the COVID-19 situation is continually evolving, so changes and updates may be required and communicated as needed.
Employees/students are strongly advised to avoid travel to any area that has been identified to have a high incidence of COVID-19 infection. Please reference sites below for any updates on states/areas that have travel advisories or high incidence of COVID-19 cases.
- For employees/students who do travel, it is essential to take all necessary precautions:
- Wear a mask at all times when outside your residence.
- Practice social distancing especially if your mask is removed while eating/drinking.
- Avoid indoor crowds, especially bars and restaurants; outdoors is always preferable
Return from Travel
What should an employee or student do after returning from travel?
- Regardless of where the employee or student has traveled to, if they are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms or are not feeling well they should not report to work or classes. Center City students should contact JOHN at 215-955-6835, East Falls students should contact the Student Health Service COVID line at 215-951-0168. Employees should contact the JOHN hotline at (215) 503-7623.
- For employees/students who have followed all of the above precautions, consistently throughout their stay, they may return to work/school. They do not need to contact JOHN, the JOHN hotline, or the East Falls Student Health Service COVID line. (Please remember to wear a mask at all times at the workplace/school environment and continue to practice social distancing in places such as breakrooms, cafeterias, classrooms, residence halls, etc.)
- For employees and students who have not consistently adhered to these precautions:
- Household contact with COVID-19:
* Employees – please follow the Employee Health Exposure Guidelines found on the myJeffHub COVID-19 Guidance site.
* Students – please refer to BannerWeb.
- Close community contact with COVID-19:
* Employees – please follow Employee Health Exposure Guidelines found on myJeffHub COVID-19 Guidance site.
* Students – please refer to the Jefferson.edu/coronavirus web site.
- High-risk behavior (e.g. attended large parties or venues, especially indoors, especially with inconsistent mask usage and social distancing):
- Employees, contact the JOHN HOTLINE for clearance before returning to work,
- Center City students contact JOHN at 215-955-6835,
- East Falls students should contact the Student Health Service COVID line at 215-951-0168 before returning to school.
- International travel and cruise ship travel restrictions continue to change. For return from any of these,
- employees please contact the JOHN HOTLINE for guidance before returning to work or school.
- Center City students should contact JOHN at 215-955-6835 and
- East Falls students should contact the Student Health Service COVID line at 215-951-0168.
Jefferson-related travel will follow all recommendations outlined above. If a group will be travelling together, please contact Enterprise Infection Control for additional recommendations for best practices.