IRES Study Abroad
There is a critical need for highly skilled scientists and engineers in the areas of cell therapy, gene therapy, and biopharma in the U.S. The sector offers highly-paid entry level positions with the opportunity for career advancement. The Jefferson Institute for Bioprocessing (JIB) is collaborating with its partner in Ireland, the National Institute for Bioprocessing Research and Training (NIBRT) (a non-academic research enterprise) to fill this demand. The fully-funded research program offers a unique training and educational experience in a world class facility. This opportunity is open to all students, and underrepresented minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The goal of this internship is to prepare candidates for advanced degree programs aligned with the industry’s need for skilled talent.
Thomas Jefferson University and NIBRT will offer 6 selected candidates the opportunity to participate in global research in the methodologies of bioanalytics and biomonitoring within the fields of biopharmaceutical, biologic and vaccine engineering/production to realize these goals:
- Through this global partnership, students will develop agile, analytical skills in biopharmaceutical process engineering.
- Increase the number of students, especially underrepresented minorities in life sciences and engineering, who participate in an international research experience.
- Train and transition exceptionally prepared, highly competitive students into advanced degree programs and/or industry positions.
How to Apply
The application for Summer 2023 will open on March 1st. The application period for the Summer 2024 and Summer 2025 international research experiences will be announced during the preceding Fall terms.
Online application open date: March 1, 2022
Online application close date: October 15, 2022
- Completed applications, including all required documents, must be submitted by October 15, 2022. (Please refer to the full list of required documents.)
- The applicant is responsible for ensuring all required materials are received by the application close date. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Please send all required documents at once to JIB’s Director of Academic Programs, Mr. Geoff Toner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Required Application Materials
The applicant is responsible for determining eligibility for the IRES program, ensuring the application is complete, and all required documents are submitted by the application deadline. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Most current electronic file (PDF) of official transcript
- Letter of Recommendation from faculty advisor or research mentor
- 2-page narrative describing the applicant’s desire to participate in the IRES program, including the applicant’s goals while in the program and STEM-related professional goals.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in an Engineering or Life Sciences discipline at an accredited U.S. institution.
- Applicants must be enrolled in the Junior year of their studies and anticipate a graduation date of June 2024
- Minimum cGPA of 3.0
- To ensure participation in the program, applicants must currently possess a valid U.S. Passport that is current through September 2023
- Applicants must be eligible to travel to Dublin, Ireland and commit to the full 12-week duration of the IRES program.
Program Duration: May 22, 2023 through August 11, 2023
Travel Dates: May 21, 2023 departure from U.S.
August 12, 2023 departure from Ireland
- Selected applicants are required to participate in a series of pre-experience preparatory activities including, but not limited to, team building exercises, virtual collaborative exchanges about specific projects and experimental design, pre-summer studies and experimental technique training as required.
- At the conclusion of the experience, applicants will be required to prepare a scientific report of their activities, a concluding survey and group meeting with U.S.-based representatives either virtually or at the Jefferson Institute for Bioprocessing (depending on the student’s primary location).
How Do I Apply?
- Click here to download the IRES Application (PDF).
- When you are ready to apply, and are in possession of all required documentation, please email all documents to Geoff Toner at email@example.com.
IRES Application Contact Information: