- Director, Division of Pulmonary, Allergy & Critical Care Medicine
- CEO, Jane & Leonard Korman Respiratory Institute
- Ludwig Kind Professor of Medicine
- Enterprise Division Chief, Pulmonary, Allergy & Critical Care Medicine
The research arm of the Division of Pulmonary, Allergy & Critical Care is the Jane and Leonard Korman Lung Center at Jefferson. The focus includes lung cancer as well as benign diseases, such as asthma, sarcoidosis and pulmonary fibrosis, with special emphasis on lung biology.
Several key entities will interact closely and collaboratively to advance our understanding of lung disease and provide a platform for education of our trainees and improve patient care:
- Jane and Leonard Korman Respiratory Institute — Jefferson Health and National Jewish Health
- Center for Translational Medicine (CTM)
- Jefferson Coordinating Center for Clinical Research (JCCCR)
Scholarship and research covers a broad spectrum, including:
- Sponsored clinical trials (typically multi-center pharma trials with strict study design with random allocation)
- Quality assurance initiatives geared to monitoring, education and improving compliance of accepted practice
- Investigator-initiated data collection of a particular disease cohort or intervention
- Establishing registries for data or biobanks for future studies
- Correlative or translational studies involving human specimens to gain proof-of-concept insights into disease mechanisms
- Formal controlled laboratory models with experimental design involving mouse models, in-vitro studies, etc.
All of these activities are currently occurring in the Pulmonary, Allergy & Critical Care Division at Thomas Jefferson University and Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals. Clinicians, clinical scientists and laboratory scientists are equally engaged and valued. This represents an outstanding environment for growth of a fellow-in-training or academic faculty.
Clinical Trials & Projects
Clinical research is considered to be vital for the mission of an academic division and typically faculty gravitate to academic centers to participate in scholarship, discovery and innovation. A healthy training environment which includes knowledge creation is an integral part of Pulmonary, Allergy & Critical Care Medicine Fellowship training as mandated by the Accreditation Committee on Graduate Medical Education and the division. Participation in an active research program is an essential component for fellows enrolled in subspecialty fellowship training programs. As such, our program provides an opportunity for fellows to participate in research and other scholarly activities. The program strives to ensure a meaningful, supervised research experience with appropriate protected time. Fellows learn the standards of ethical conduct of research, design and interpretation of research studies, responsible use of informed consent, research methodology, methods of choosing and performing statistical analysis, and interpretation of data.
The division’s scholarly activities are complemented by support and expertise from:
- Jefferson Coordinating Center for Clinical Research (JCCCR)
- Center for Translational Medicine (CTM)
- Graduate Studies Programs
- Recombinant human angiotensin converting enzyme Type II (rhACE-2) in ARDS. (PI: Bharat Awsare, MD) (Phase II trial, sponsor is GSK).
- A Post-marketing Observational Study to Assess Respiratory Tract Adverse Events in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Patients Treated with Tyvaso® (Treprostinil) Inhalation Solution. ASPIRE, (PI: Michael Scharf, MD)
- A 16-Week, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Reslizumab (3.0 mg/kg) Treatment in Patients With Moderate to Severe Asthma. Cephalan (PI: Mani S. Kavuru, MD)
- Evaluating the Use of Polymyxin B Hemoperfusion in a Randomized Controlled Trial of Adults Treated for Endotoxemia and Septic Shock. EUPHRATES. (PI: Michael Baram, MD)
- A Multicenter, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Phase 3 Study to Demonstrate the Efficacy and Safety of ACT-293987 in Patients with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Griphon (PI: Michael Scharf, MD)
- Registry to Prospectively Describe Use of Epoprostenol for Injection ("RTS Epoprostenol") in Patients with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension *No Longer Enrolling New Patients. PROSPECT (PI: Michael Scharf, MD)
- COPD Study with a LABA/IC (BI). (PI: William Sexauer, MD)
- A Phase 2, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Multi-Center Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of GS-6624 (LOXL2) in Subjects with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (RAINIER, Gilead Sciences Inc)(PI: Ross Summer, MD, CoI Drs Kavuru & Weibel)
- Severe sepsis pathway (ED/MICU/Infectious Diseases) with (Drs. Awsare, Flomenberg, and Lopez)
- Severe sepsis hospital rollout (collaboration with heme / malignancy / oncology) (Drs. Awsare & Flomenberg)
- GI bleed pathway (GI/Interventional Radiology) with (Drs. Awsare, Mitchell Conn, and David Eschelman)
- ABCDE protocol (collaboration with nursing, respiratory therapy, physical therapy, anesthesia/pain service, surgery); MICU initiative
- Development & Implementation of a multi-disciplinary COPD exacerbation in-patient pathway (Drs. Gaurav Kumar, Vaid, Sexauer, Kavuru)
- A quality improvement project for documentation of family meetings in the medical ICU: (PI: Urvashi. Vaid, MD with fellow Geoffrey Koff, MD and Co-PI: David Oxman, MD)
- How to teach (3 minute fellow lectures) (Drs Baram & Mangione)
- Utility of Rockall score in outcomes in lower GI bleeding (PI: David Manoff, MD & Dr Awsare)
- Incidence of hyperglycemia in septic shock patients receiving steroids for adrenal insufficiency (PI: Lindsay McCann & Dr. Vaid)
- Utility of oxygenation index as predictor of failure of conventional ventilation and mortality (PI: Vanjul Agarwal, MD and Roselle Almeida, MD & Drs Baram & Vaid)
- Code status change following an RRT in an academic medical center: An observational study of patient characteristics and outcomes. (PI: Michael Baram, MD and Co PI: Urvashi Vaid, MD and David Oxman, MD)
- PAH due to Hep B, C without portal hypertension. Need to define portal hypertension. Do we bring in liver specialists? (PI: Michael L. Scharf, MD)
- Role of tissue Doppler imaging in assessing RV function prior to/in absence of elevated estimated PA pressures in various chronically at risk populations. Safety of performing ISWT in PAH population Scleroderma? (PI: Michael L. Scharf, MD)
- Compare 6MWD, ISWT, VO2max in various chronically at risk populations. (PI: Michael L. Scharf, MD)
- What constitutes and meaningful improvement in ISWT distance? Questionnaire, Functional Class, Pre- and post-therapy CTA imaging of RV size and function (PA caliber) in various chronically at risk populations. (PI: Dr Michael Scharf, with Misha Peter, MD and Dinesh Sharma, MD)
- Outcomes of percutaneous tracheostomy in the medical ICU: retrospective review (Drs Restrepo & Baram)
- Utilization of ECMO in the ICU: optimal timing, role of biomarkers, comparison to a national database, etc. (Drs. Kumar Gaurav, Mike Baram, Nick Cavarocchi)
- Impact of computerized order entry alert on the optimal use of ARDSnet ventilator settings (Drs. Sid Bagga & Michael Baram)
- Outcome of patients with solitary pulmonary nodules: retrospective chart review (Drs. Vanjul Agarwal, Rohit Kumar, Mani Kavuru)
- IRB approved for recruitment of patient surrogates to form part of advisory board for PCORI grant application for a new tool "GO-CARE" to assess outcomes and patient/family satisfaction with meetings in the ICU. (PI: Susan Parks, MD Co-PI: Urvashi Vaid, MD and David Oxman, MD)
- COPD management: medical home in primary care versus subspecialty care (PCORI grant submission) (PI: Lawrence Ward, with Co-Is Drs Rhea Powell, Kavuru, Sexauer)
2020 to Present
Saqib Baig, MD
- Baig SH, Gorth DJ, Yoo EJ. Critical Care Utilization and Outcomes of Interhospital Medical Transfers at Lower Risk of Death. Journal of Intensive Care Medicine. June 2021.
- Haribhakti N, Agarwal P, Vida J, Panahon P, Rizwan F, Orfanos S, Stoll J, Baig S, Cabrera J, Kostis JB, Ananth CV, Kostis WJ, Scardella AT. A Simple Scoring Tool to Predict Medical Intensive Care Unit Readmissions Based on Both Patient and Process Factors. J Gen Intern Med. 2021 Apr;36(4):901-907. doi: 10.1007/s11606-020-06572-w. Epub 2021 Jan 22. PMID: 33483824; PMCID: PMC8041987.
Michael Baram, MD
- Kathleen Biblowitz, MD, Megan Mullin, CRNP, Lydia McDermott PAC, Alyssa Sykuta, PharmD, Michael Baram, MD; Hitoshi Hirose, MD, PH D. A multidisciplinary approach to prolonged extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for acute respiratory distress syndrome due to coronavirus 2019- case report. AME. Submitted Manuscript ID: ACR-21-51
- Blazoski, CM, Baram, M, Yang, Q, Hirose, H. Outcomes of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in influenza versus COVID-19 during the first wave of COVID-19. J Card Surg. Aug 2021; 1- 7. PMID: 34369601
- Sang Hoon Woo, Arturo J. Rios-Diaz, Alan A. Kubey, Dianna R. Cheney-Peters, Lily L. Ackermann, Divya M. Chalikonda, Chantel M Venkataraman, Joshua M. Riley, Michael Baram. Development and Validation of a Web-Based Severe COVID-19 Risk Prediction Model. The American Journal of the Medical Sciences. Accepted April 2021. Manuscript MAJ 20-2248R1
- Cameron Blazoski, Michael Baram, Hitoshi Hirose. Outcomes of Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation in Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome due to COVID-19, lessons learned from the first wave of COVID 19. Journal of Cardiac Surgery. March 19, 2021 DOI: 10.1111/jocs.15512 PMID: 33738855
- Michelle Schafer, Michael Baram, and Gregory Kane. Understanding Dead Space in Giraffes, and its Application to Critically Ill COVID-19 Patients. Submitted Respirations.
- Dagan Coppock; Michael Baram; Anna Marie Chang; Patricia Henwood; Alan Kubey; Ross Summer; John Zurlo; Michael Li; Bryan Hess COVID-19 Treatment Combinations and Associations with Mortality in a Large Multi-Site Healthcare System. PLOS- One. June 11, 2021 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0252591
- Haritha Reddy, Abhiraj Saxena, Melissa Austin, Elizabeth J Maynes, Thomas J O'Malley, Mark Gadda, Nawar Al-Rawas, Michael Baram, Bharat K Awsare, Howard Todd Massey, Vakhtang Tchantchaleishvili. Utilization of Extracorporeal Life Support for Diffuse Alveolar Damage: A Systematic Review. Artificial Organs. 2021; 00:1–10. https://doi.org/10.1111/aor.13861
- Li M, Yoo EJ, Baram M, McArthur M, Skeehan C, Awsare B, George G, Summer R, Zurlo J, Jallo J, Roman J. Tocilizumab in the Management of COVID-19: A Preliminary Report. Am J Med Sci. 2020 Nov 9:S0002-9629(20)30491-2. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7649658/ PMID: 33358502; PMCID: PMC7649658.
- Au C, Gupta E, Khaing P , DiBello J, Chengsupanimit T, Mitchell E, West FM, Baram M, Awsare B, Kane GC. Clinical presentations and outcomes in pulmonary embolism patients with cancer. J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2020 Oct 12.
- Gupta E, Awsare B, Hiroshi H, Cavarocchi N, Baram M. Don't Drive Blind: Driving Pressure to Optimize Ventilator Management in ECMO. Lung. 2020;198(5):785-792. doi:10.1007/s00408-020-00381-y. PMID: 32705400
- Michael Baram, Bharat Awsare, Geno Merli. Intensive Care Units as a Place to Manage Pulmonary Emboli. Critical Care Clinics. July 2020. Vol 36, Issue 3, pages xiii-xiv. PMID: 32473701 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ccc.2020.04.001
- Michael Baram, Bharat Awsare, Geno Merli. Pulmonary Embolism in Intensive Care Unit. Critical Care Clinics. July 2020. Vol 36, Issue 3. Pages 427-435. PMID: 32473689
- Judah Brown, Andrew Moyer, Michael Baram and Cara McDaniel. Impact of Vasopressor Initiation and Discontinuation Sequence on Mortality in Septic Shock: A Retrospective Review. Surgical Case Reports 3(2): 2-7. Feb 2020. DOI: 10.31487/j.SCR.2020.01.05
- Gupta, E., Carey, K., McDermott, L., Cavarocchi, N., Hirose, H. and Baram, M. (2020) Role of Serum Cytokine Levels in Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Patients on Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Support. World Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery, 10, 1-10. DOI: 10.4236/wjcs.2020.101001
Non peer reviewed
- Cameron Blazoski, Michael Baram, Hitoshi Hirose. Outcomes of Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation in Influenza vs. COVID-19 during the First Wave of COVID-19. Journal of Cardiac Surgery. Submitted May 2021 via Aithorea
- Daniel Kramer, Michael Baram. Non-Rebreather Mask: A Bridge Worth Crossing? The American Journal of the Medical Sciences, Volume 361, Issue 4, 2021, Pages 409-410, ISSN 0002-9629
- Sang Hoon Woo, Arturo J. Rios-Diaz, Alan A. Kubey, Dianna R. Cheney-Peters, Lily L. Ackermann, Divya M. Chalikonda, Chantel M Venkataraman, Joshua M. Riley, Michael Baram. Development and Validation of a Web-Based Severe COVID-19 Risk Prediction Model. BMJ Yale. July 18, 2020. doi.org/10.1101/2020.07.16.20155739
Julie Barta, MD
- Barta JA, Shusted CS, Ruane B, Pimpinelli M, McIntire RK, Zeigler-Johnson C, Myers RE, Evans NR, Kane GC, Juon HS. Racial Differences in Lung Cancer Screening Beliefs and Screening Adherence. Clinical Lung Cancer 2021; accepted, in press.
- Shusted CS, Evans NR, Juon HS, Kane GC, Barta JA. Association of Race with Lung Cancer Risk Among Adults Undergoing Lung Cancer Screening. JAMA Network Open 2021; 4(4):e214509. PMID: 33822072.
- Juon HS, Hong A, Pimpinelli M, Rojulpote M, McIntire R, Barta JA. Racial Disparities in Occupational Risks and Lung Cancer Incidence: Analysis of the National Lung Screening Trial. Prev Med 2021; 143: 106355. PMID: 33301822.
- Lake, M, Shusted CS, Juon H, McIntire RK, Zeigler-Johnson C, Evans NR, Kane GC, Barta JA. Black Patients Referred to a Lung Cancer Screening Program Experience Lower Rates of Screening and Longer Time to Follow-Up. BMC Cancer 2020; 20(1):561. PMID:32546140.
Christina Chien, MD
- Block P, Barnes A, Chien C, Tholey D, Hess B, DeSimone J, Civan J. Clinical outcomes for nosocomial versus community-acquired spontaneous bacterial peritonitis. Digestive Disease Week National Conference. May 2021.
- Swaminathan A, Chien C, Emlet L. A 47-year-old woman with shortness of breath. In:Weinstock MB, ed. Bouncebacks! Critical Care. Columbus, OH: Anadem Publishing; 2021.
Megan Ford, MD
- Clark, M.M., Nayak, A.P., Cohn, J.R., Morelli, H., Ford, M.K. Species specific evaluation of 2 patients with suspected crab allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2021 Jan: 9(1); 511-513
Gautam George, MD
- Li M, Yoo EJ, Baram M, McArthur M, Skeehan C, Awsare B, George G, Summer R, Zurlo J, Jallo J, Roman J. Tocilizumab in the Management of COVID-19: A Preliminary Report. Am J Med Sci. 2021 Feb;361(2):208-215. doi: 10.1016/j.amjms.2020.11.005. Epub 2020 Nov 9. PMID: 33358502;
- Gulati A, Pomeranz C, Qamar Z, Thomas S, Frisch D, George G, Summer R, DeSimone J, Sundaram B. A Comprehensive Review of Manifestations of Novel Coronaviruses in the Context of Deadly COVID-19 Global Pandemic. Am J Med Sci. 2020 Jul;360(1):5-34. doi: 10.1016/j.amjms.2020.05.006. Epub 2020 May 11.
- Kabadi RA, Shah M, Marhefka GD, George G, Awsare B, Terai M, Sato T. Rapid, Fatal Acute Right Ventricular Failure After Locoregional Cytokine Therapy for Uveal Melanoma Liver Metastases. Tex Heart Inst J. 2020 Jun 1;47(3):224-228. doi: 10.14503/THIJ-18-6762.
- Hilton R, Summer R, Roman J, Sundaram B, George G. E-cigarettes and Vaping Associated Lung Injury: A Case Series and Brief Review. Am J Med Sci. 2020 Mar;359(3):137-139. doi: 10.1016/j.amjms.2020.01.003. Epub 2020 Jan 13. PMID: 32089155.
Monica Gupta, MD
- Phillips, E.C., Gupta, M., Li, RC., Sohn, J.K., Lawrence, M.G. “Novel Pathogenic C2 Variant Associated with Disseminated GBS Infection.” J Clin Immunol. 2020 May 8.
Robert Hilton, MD
- Hilton R, Summer R, Roman J, Sundaram B, George G. E-cigarettes and Vaping Associated Lung Injury: A Case Series and Brief Review. The American Journal of the Medical Sciences, March 2020, 359(3): 137–139.
Prarthna Kulandaisamy, MD
- Gold,E.,Gandler,A., Kulandaisamy,P.C.,2020 Rare gastrobronchial fistula mistaken for aspiration pneumonia in a patient with esophageal cancer:A case report.DOI:https://doi.org?10.1016/j.chest 2020.8
Salvatore Mangione, MD
- Mangione S. The AJMS in the Beginning - Nathaniel Chapman, William Osler, and the Philadelphia Story. Am J Med Sci. 2020 Feb;359(2):59-60.
- Mangione S. When Disease Strikes the Leader: What Should We Know? J Gen Intern Med. 2020 Oct;35(10):3053-3056. doi: 10.1007/s11606-020-06060-1. Epub 2020 Jul 27. PMID: 32720241; PMCID: PMC7573095.
- Mangione S., Mockler GL. In Search of Hemingway’s Great War. Pharos Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Med Soc. Autumn 2020: 14-19. https://alphaomegaalpha.org/pharos/2020/Autumn/2020_Autumn_Mangione.pdf
- Mangione S, Post SG. The Moral lesson of Covid-19: A call for renewal. Am J Med Sci. 2021 Feb;361(2):146-150. doi: 10.1016/j.amjms.2020.11.018. Epub 2020 Nov 23. PMID: 33349440.
- Mangione S, Borghi L, Bianucci R. Mazzini at 150: the Italian death of a London exile. Intern Emerg Med. 2021 Apr 7. doi: 10.1007/s11739-021-02728-6. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33826075.
- Mangione S. The observation of art and the art of observing individuals with physical differences. Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet. 2021 Jun;187(2):134-140. doi: 10.1002/ajmg.c.31898. Epub 2021 May 13. PMID: 33982435.
- Mangione S, Tykocinski ML. Virchow at 200 and Lown at 100 - Physicians as Activists. N Engl J Med. 2021 Jul 22;385(4):291-293. doi: 10.1056/NEJMp2103050. Epub 2021 Jul 17. PMID: 34279066.
- Mangione S, Mandell BF, Post SG. The Language Game: We Are Physicians, Not Providers. Am J Med. 2021 Jul 20. ISSN 0002-9343, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2021.06.031. (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002934321004423)
Christopher McGrath, MD
- McDonough G, Khaing P, McGrath C, Yoo E, et al. “The Use of High-Flow Nasal Oxygen in the ICU as a First-Line Therapy for Acute Hypoxemic Respiratory Failure Secondary to Coronavirus Disease 2019.” Critical Care Explorations, Oct 2020.
Jessica Most, MD
- D'Souza G, Nwagu U, Ghanti R, Estephan L, Barton B, Unsal AR, Rabinowitz M, Rosen M, Nyquist G, Cohn J, Most JF, Toskala E. Outcomes of aspirin exacerbated respiratory disease patients treated with aspirin desensitization and biologics. International Forum of Allergy and Rhinology. In production.
- Most JF, Ambrose C, Chung Y, Kreindler J, Near A, Brunton S, Cao Y, Huang H, Zhao X. Real-World Assessment of Asthma Specialist Visits among US Patients with Severe Asthma. JACI In Practice. 2021;Oct;9(10):3662-3671.e1. Epub June 2021.
- Yoo E, Most JF, Lee N, McWilliam T, Plante L, Schulman E. Improving asthma symptoms among inner-city women during pregnancy: a prospective cohort intervention. JACI In Practice. 2021;Oct;9(10):3672-3678. Epub May 2021.
- Most JF, Bork S. New Developments in Asthma Therapeutics. Current Opinion in Pharmacology 2020, 51:59-65.
- Chitguppi C, Patel P, Gandler A, Murphy K, Khoury T, Monostra P, Bork S, Toskala E, Rabinowitz M, Rosen M, Nyquist G, Most, JF. Effect of Benralizumab in patients with Severe Eosinophilic asthma and Chronic Rhinosinusitis with nasal polyps : A case series." American Journal of Rhinology & Allergy; 2021; Sep;35(5):559-567. Epub December 2020.
- Leung S, Lee P, Most JF, Sundaram B. Images in COPD: Idiopathic Emphysema in a Never Smoker. Chronic Obstr Pulm Dis. 2020; 7(2): 130-133
David Oxman, MD
- Oxman DA. Less Lumping and More Splitting: Why We Should Not Call COVID Sepsis. Crit Care Med. 2021 Jun 1;49(6):e656-e657. PMID: 34011839.
- Oxman D, Guttman O, Brooks S, Kairys J, Riggio J. Using the Electronic Health Record for Crisis Allocation: Proceed With Caution. Am J Med Qual. 2021 Apr 2. PMID: 33828050.
- Hughes K, Hussaini Z, Shah MK, Hilton R, Oxman D. COVID-19 and Acute Pulmonary Embolism: A Case Series and Brief Review. Am J Med Sci. 2021 May; 361(5):646-649. Epub 2021 Feb 10. PMID: 33773760.
- Oxman D. The Crisis in Crisis Standards of Care. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2021 Feb 5. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33544065.
- Oxman D, Marks J, Yoo E, Goldman R. Comment on "Tracheotomy in Ventilated Patients with COVID-19". Ann Surg. 2020 Nov 17. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33214423.
- Oxman D, Lohr K, Gupta E, Madara J, Len E, Hseih J. Incidence of Multidrug Resistant Infections in Emergency Department Patients with Suspected Sepsis. Am J Med Sci. 2020 Dec;360(6):650-655.. Epub 2020 Jul 16. PMID: 32868035.
- Beal ML, Oxman DA, Becker MA. Non-urgent Surgical Intervention Over Objection in a Patient Who Lacks Capacity: A Case Report. Psychosomatics. 2020 May-Jun;61(3):277-280.. Epub 2019 Jul 24. PMID: 31466812.
Non peer reviewed
- Fischkoff K, Derrington S, Helth C, Oxman D, Shepherd L, “ Donation After Circulatory Death with Normothermic Regional Perfusion: A Brief Ethical Analysis Society of Critical Care Medicine Critical Connections, Spring 2021.
- Oxman D, “Health Care Workers Need to Lead on COVID-19 Vaccination.” Bioethics Net Blog. December 21, 2020.
- Oxman D, “Considering Preexisting Conditions in a Crisis Like Coronavirus is Not Discrimination,” Philadelphia Inquirer, April 16, 2020.
Jesse Roman, MD
- Greenwell J, Torres-Gonzalez E, Ritzenthaler JD, Watson W, Roman J. Impact of sex, age and diet on the cysteine/cystine and glutathione/glutathione disulfide plasma redox couples in mice. J Nutritional Biochemistry, 84:108431, 2020. doi: 10.1016/j.jnutbio.2020.108431.
- Gualdoni J, Ritzenthaler J, Burlen J, Stocker A, Abell T, Roman J, Nunley DR. Gastrointestinal reflux and microaspiration in lung transplant recipients: the utility of a single esophageal manometry and pH probe monitoring study. Transplant Proc 52: 977-981, 2020
- Zheng Y, Merchant ML, Burke T, Ritzenthaler JD, Gaweda A, Roman J, Watson WH, Li M, Benz F. Redox states of protein cysteines in pathways of protein turnover and cytoskeleton dynamics are changed with aging and reversed by Slc7a11 restoration in mouse lung fibroblasts. Oxidative Med & Cellul Longevity 2020 Jun 7;2020:2468986. doi: 10.1155/2020/2468986.
- Flamenbaum M, Roman J. Endemic and emerging coronavirus pulmonary infections. Am J Med Sci. 2020 Jun 12:S0002-9629(20)30255-X. doi: 10.1016/j.amjms.2020.06.013.
- Greenwell JC, Torres-Gonzalez E, Ritzenthaler JD, Roman J. Interplay between aging, lung inflammation/remodeling, and fibronectin EDA in lung cancer progression. Cancer Biology & Therapy. In press.
- Todd JL, Neely ML, Overton R, Mulder H, Roman J, Lasky JA, de Andrade JA, Huang H, Leonard TB, Hesslinger C, Noth I, Belperio J, Flaherty KR, Palmer SM. Association nof circulating proteins with death or lung transplantation in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis in the IPF-PRO Registry cohort. Lung. Submitted.
Michael Stephen, MD
- O’Hayer, CV, O’Loughlin CM, Nurse CN, Smith PJ, Stephen M. ACT with CF: A telehealth and in person feasibility study to address anxiety and depressive symptoms among people with cystic fibrosis. Journal of Cystic Fibrosis 2020; December.
- Stephen M, Fiel S, Zanni R, Hadjiliadis D. Prevalence of Medical Marijuana Use in Cystic Fibrosis. BMC Complementary Medicine 2020;323.
- Woytanowski JR, Ko W, Granche J, Stephen M. Outcomes of Septic Patients Requiring Renal Replacement Therapy. Journal of the Intensive Care Society, April 2020
- Abramian O, Singhal S, Stephen M. A 49-year-Old Man with cough and hand, wrist and knee pain. Chest, February 2020.
Ross Summer, MD
- Hoora Shaghaghi, Rachel Para, Cara Tran, Jesse Roman, Yemaiza Ojeda-Lassalle, Freddy Romero, Ross Summer Glutamine restores mitochondrial respiration in bleomycin-injured epithelial cells under review
- Metra B, Summer R, Brooks SE, George G, Sundaram B. Racial disparities in COVID-19 associated pulmonary embolism: A multicenter cohort study. Thromb Res. 2021 S .
- Shaghaghi, H., Karina, Cuevas-Mora, Para, R., Tran, C. Roque, W., Robertson, M., Rosas, I., Summer, R., Romero, F. Aging cell 2021 Jul 8;13(13):16922-16937*co-senior author 
- Coppock, D., Baram, M., Chang, AM, Henwood, P., Kubey, A., Summer, R., Zurlo, J., Li, M., Hess, B., COVID-19 Treatment Combinations and Associations with Mortality in a Large Multi-Site Healthcare System, Plos One Medicine.
- Li M, Yoo EJ, Baram M, McArthur M, Skeehan C, Awsare B, George G, Summer R, Zurlo J, Jallo J, Roman Tocilizumab in the Management of COVID-19: A Preliminary Report. J.Am J Med Sci. 2021 [PMID: 33358502]
- Cuevas-Mora K, Roque W, Shaghaghi H, Gochuico BR, Rosas IO, Summer R, Romero F. Hermansky-Pudlak syndrome-2 alters mitochondrial homeostasis in the alveolar epithelium of the lung. Respir Res. 2021 Feb 8;22(1):49 [PMID: 33557836] * co-senior author
- Schultz, CW, Dhir, T., McCarthy, GA., Nevler, A., McCoy, M., Jiang W., Brown SZ, Goetz, A., Calvert V., Vishwakarma., V., Vang D., Dang H., Cassel J., Summer R., Shaghaghi., H., Pommier Y., Baechler A., Yeo., C. Petricoin EF., Salvino J, Singh PJ., Dixon DA, Brody, JR. Repurposing an FDA approved anthelmintic therapy to halt the growth of pancreatic cancer. Mol Cancer Ther. 2021 Aug 19 
Non peer reviewed
- Kramer, D., Summer, R. Airway Hydration in Sjögren’s Pulmonary Disease The Role of Nebulized Saline Solution Beyond Xerotrachea: Accepted
- Gulati A, Pomeranz C, Qamar Z, Thomas S, Frisch D, George G, Summer R, DeSimone J, Sundaram B. A Comprehensive Review of Manifestations of Novel Coronaviruses in the Context of Deadly COVID-19 Global Pandemic. Am J Med Sci. 2020 Jul;360(1):5-34
- Perez R, Summer R. On Race and the Environment in the COVID-19 Pandemic.Am J Med Sci. 2020 Oct;360(4):327-328
- Fonseca M, Summer R, Roman Acute Exacerbation of Interstitial Lung Disease as a Sequela of COVID-19 Pneumonia. J.Am J Med Sci. 2021
- Summer AK, Summer R, Solga SF, Spacek LA. COVID-19 Retesting in the Primary Care Setting. Am J Med Sci. 2020 May
- Hilton, R., Summer, R., Roman, J., Sundaram, B., George, G. E-cigarettes and vaping associated lung injury: a case series and brief review. Am J Med Sci. 2020.
Urvashi Vaid, MD, MS
- Ziring D, Berg K, Mingioni N, Papanagnou D, Vaid U, Herrine S. 2020 AAMC Snapshots in Medical Education in the United States and Canada Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University. Acad Med. 2020;95: S444–S448.
Frances West, MD
- Khaing P, Paruchuri A, Eisenbrey JR, Merli GJ, Gonsalves CF, West FM, Awsare BK. First year experience of a pulmonary embolism response team with comparisons of outcomes between catheter directed therapy versus standard anticoagulation. Hosp Pract (1995). 2020 Feb;48(1):23-28. doi: 10.1080/21548331.2020.1706315. Epub 2020 Jan 3. PMID: 31847615
- Choi JH, O'Malley TJ, Maynes EJ, Weber MP, D'Antonio ND, Mellado M, West FM, Galanis T, Gonsalves CF, Marhefka GD, Awsare BK, Merli GJ, Tchantchaleishvili V. Surgical Pulmonary Embolectomy Outcomes for Acute Pulmonary Embolism. Ann Thorac Surg. 2020 Mar 6:S0003-4975(20)30345-3. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2020.01.075. PMID: 32151576
- Root CW, Mitchell OJL, Brown R, Evers CB, Boyle J, Griffin C, West FM, Gomm E, Miles E, McGuire B, Swaminathan A, St. George J, Horowitz JM, DuCanto J. Suction Assisted Laryngoscopy and Airway Decontamination (SALAD): A Technique for Improved Emergency Airway Management., Resuscitation Plus, 2020 Mar-Jun;1-2.
- Marbach JA, Almufleh A, Di Santo P, Simard T, Jung R, Diemer G, West FM, Millington SJ, Mathew R, Le May MR, Hibbert B. A Shifting Paradigm: The Role of Focused Cardiac Ultrasound in Bedside Patient Assessment. Chest. 2020 Nov;158(5):2107-2118. doi: 10.1016/j.chest.2020.07.021. Epub 2020 Jul 21. PMID: 32707179.
- West FM, Saati A, Lewiss RE. A brief history of point-of-care transesophageal echocardiography in the USA. Eur J Emerg Med. 2020 Oct 16. doi: 10.1097/MEJ.0000000000000767. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33079739.
- Au C, Gupta E, Khaing P, Dibello J, Chengsupanimit T, Mitchell EP, West FM, Baram M, Awsare BK, Kane GC. Clinical presentations and outcomes in pulmonary embolism patients with cancer. J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2021 Feb;51(2):430-436. doi: 10.1007/s11239-020-02298-y. Epub 2020 Oct 12.
- Mitchell OJL, Yuriditsky E, Johnson NJ, Doran O, Buckler DG, Neefe S, Seethala RR, Motov S, Moskowitz A, Lee J, Griffin KM, Shashaty MGS, Horowitz JM, Abella BS; West FM. Coronavirus 2019 In-Hospital Cardiac Arrest (COVID IHCA) Study Group. In-hospital cardiac arrest in patients with coronavirus 2019. Resuscitation. 2021 Mar;160:72-78. doi: 10.1016/j.resuscitation.2021.01.012. Epub 2021 Jan 27. PMID: 33515638
Erika Yoo, MD
- Ahmad D, Yoo EJ. Asthma in pregnancy. In: Lapinsky SE, Plante LA, eds. Respiratory Disease in Pregnancy. Cambridge, UK; New York, NY: Cambridge University Press, 2020.
- Oxman D, Marks J, Yoo E, Goldman R. Comment on "Tracheotomy in Ventilated Patients with COVID-19.” Ann Surg. 2020 Nov 17. PMID 33214423.
- “I can't breathe with my mask on”
- Weekend Admission Does Not Confer an Increased Risk of Mortality in Septic Shock
- Critical Care Utilization and Outcomes of Interhospital Medical Transfers at Lower Risk of Death
- Resumption of Pulmonary Rehabilitation after Pandemic Interruption: Patient Attitudes and Characteristics
- Outcomes of aspirin exacerbated respiratory disease patients treated with aspirin desensitization and biologics