The MS in Historic Preservation is a 49-credit program and can be attended on a full-time or part-time basis. Students customize their course of study by selecting one of two tracks:
- Documentation & Research - open to students with non-design or design backgrounds
- Preservation Design - requiring an undergraduate major in a design discipline.
Concentrations — Students shape coursework and define professional goals by applying the nine (9) credits of elective courses to the completion of a Concentration, drawn from CABE graduate offerings, thereby acquiring in-depth knowledge and specialization in a field compatible with their track. Select options include: Architectural History and Preservation Theory, Sustainable Design, Geospatial & Digital Technologies, Building Conservation & Assessment, Urban Revitalization & Real Estate Development, Preservation of Modernism.
Study Abroad Option — Students may choose to apply elective credits to a semester at Anhalt University, studying the preservation of modernist architecture at the iconic Bauhaus Building in Dessau, Germany.
Total Required Credit Hours: 49 credits
For complete descriptions, please review the MS in Historic Preservation Course Descriptions (PDF).
Foundation Courses: 12 credits
- Uncovering the Past: Tools, Methods & Strategies, 3 credits
- Building Conservation & Assessment, 3 credits
- Architectural Forensics & Documentation, 3 credits
- Issues in Contemporary Preservation, 3 credits
Core Curriculum: 21 Credits
- Restoration & Rehabilitation of Modernist Buildings, 3 credits
- American Architecture, 3 credits
- Vernacular Architecture, 3 credits
- Introduction to Geographic Information Systems, 3 credits (available online)
- Preservation Economics: Urban Revitalization, Adaptive Reuse, & Historic Neighborhoods, 3 credits (available online)
- Principles & Methods of Sustainable Design, 3 credits (available online)
- Adaptive Reuse & Urban Revitalization, 3 credits
Sample Elective Options: 9 credits
- Adaptive Design, 3 credits
- Green Materials & Life Cycle Assessment, 3 credits
- HABS Photography, 3 credits
- Conservation of Historic Interiors, 3 credits
- Public-Private Partnerships, 3 credits
- Affordable Housing, 3 credits
- Advanced Geographic Information Systems, 3 credits
- Study Abroad, Anhalt University, Dessau, Germany, 9 credits
Master's Thesis: 7 credits
- Thesis Preparation, 3 credits
- Thesis, 4 credits