MSID is a professional degree.
It's right for you, if you:
- Are a design professional looking to update your skills, work with new kinds of clients, or take on entrepreneurial projects.
- Have a bachelor’s degree in arts, design, engineering or architecture and wish to gain advanced experience and expertise in industrial design.
- Want to pursue industrial design as a career, but hold an undergraduate degree in a different field.
Information for Applicants
- Completed Application for Graduate Admissions (online)
- Official Academic Transcripts
- Current Resume/CV
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- Personal Essay
- Portfolio Encouraged
Submit Application and email admission documents to: GradAdm@PhilaU.edu
Or mail Application and Applicant Information to:
Office of Graduate Admissions
Thomas Jefferson University, East Falls Campus
4201 Henry Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19144-5497
While University admissions are rolling, the MSID program is studio-based and has limited space, so the number of students we can accept each year is limited. To ensure the best chance of inclusion, please submit your application before the end of May.
M.S. in Industrial Design is a cohort-based program, and the graduate studio sequence begins in mid-August. However, students requiring foundational work are able to begin the program in spring with a roster of foundational courses.
GRE test scores are not required for this program.
All applicants should submit a thoughtful essay, focused on the unique ways they anticipate contributing to this interdisciplinary program.
Although it is not required for those without degrees in design, students from all disciplines are strongly encouraged to submit a portfolio of personal or professional work, in order to demonstrate the applicant's ability to draw, build, and advance ideas through visualization and prototyping.
A limited number of graduate assistantships are available on a competitive basis.