We at Jefferson College of Life Sciences (JCLS) welcome students who wish to take courses without committing to a degree or certificate program. We accommodate such students by enrolling them in our non-degree option.
Students from a wide variety of educational backgrounds and with various life experiences take courses under the non-degree option.
Reasons for taking such courses include:
- Learning a new skill set or subject matter
- Building on professional and life experiences
- Satisfying a need for life-long learning
- Preparing for graduate study
Courses taken by non-degree students are the same courses taken by students in our Certificate & Master of Science programs. If a non-degree student eventually applies to and is accepted by a certificate or degree program at JCLS, credit for any courses in which he or she earned a B or better can be transferred to the certificate or degree program.
Applications for non-degree status are considered throughout the year and newly matriculated students may begin coursework in any academic term.
Please email us when you submit your application at email@example.com
- Candidates are required to take classes within the College of Life Sciences.
Available coursework can be found here.
- Candidates are required to have a minimum GPA of 2.75
Describe your specific reasons for applying to Jefferson. Detail your professional objectives, including your areas of interest regarding research, study and career.
Applicants are required to submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. This includes any study-abroad programs or transfer credit not reflected on undergraduate transcripts, with full course titles and final grades.
If your courses were completed outside of the United States, you must submit a course-by-course evaluation from World Education Services, Inc. (WES).
Transcripts need to be received by the Office of Admissions in a sealed envelope with an official signature or stamp across the sealed flap. Send to:
JCLS Office of Admissions
Suite M-46, Jefferson Alumni Hall
1020 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107-6799
If your native language is not English, or you received your baccalaureate degree from an institution where English is not the official language of instruction, you must submit official scores from an accepted English proficiency exam such as TOEFL or IELTS. If you are unsure about whether this applies to you, see our list of TOEFL Requirements by Country (PDF).
TOEFL or IELTS scores are valid for two years; scores older than two years will not be considered.
Under no circumstances can any application materials submitted to the Office of Admissions be returned to the applicant or forwarded to another college, university or third party. All records submitted in support of an Application for Admission become property of Jefferson College of Life Sciences, Thomas Jefferson University.
Please note that successful completion of non-degree coursework does not guarantee admission to a Jefferson College of Life Sciences certificate or degree program. For more information on applying to a certificate/degree program please contact the Office of Admissions at 215-503-4400.
Online Application Instructions
- Please be sure to read all instructions at the top of each screen before starting each section.
- When asked to choose a Login ID, you may, but are not required to, use your social security number. This will help the Admissions Office match transcripts, letters of recommendation, personal statements and other materials accordingly. Otherwise you can create a Login ID of up to 9 alphanumeric characters. You may choose any six-digit number for the PIN number. Be certain to record your Login ID and PIN number.
- There is a 5-minute inactivity timeout. After which, you will be prompted to re-enter your Login ID and PIN to continue with the application.
- When entering a date in any section of the application, use the format MM/DD/YYYY, including the slashes.
- When all sections are complete, select the Application Complete box before submitting the application. If you do not check the complete box, the application will not be submitted to the database.
- After the application is complete, please provide a credit card number and expiration date to pay the non-refundable $10 application fee. Failure to provide credit card authorization will result in an incomplete application and it will not be added to our database.
- If you receive an error message or have any problems when attempting to submit your application, please contact the Office of Admissions at JGSBSfirstname.lastname@example.org or call 215-503-4400.
Frequently Asked Questions
Applications are considered on a rolling-admissions basis throughout the year and newly matriculated students may begin coursework in any academic term.
A complete application consists of:
- A completed application form
- Non-refundable $10.00 application fee
- Official transcripts showing completion of baccalaureate degree
- Minimum GPA of 2.75
- Personal Statement
I am an International applicant. Are there any additional requirements or information that I should know?
- English Proficiency: If your native language is not English, you received your baccalaureate degree from an institution where English is not the official language of instruction or your institution is on our list of TOEFL requirements (PDF) you must submit official scores from an accepted English proficiency exam such as TOEFL or IELTS.
- Transcript Evaluation: If you completed your undergraduate/graduate work outside of the United States, you must submit a course-by-course evaluation from Word Education Services.
For other information (Student VISA, etc) please visit our Office of International Affairs.
The maximum number of credits a student may take in non-degree status is 13.
Once a student has taken 13 credits, the student can either apply to a degree program within JCLS or request permission to continue in non-degree status from the Associate Dean and Director of Professional Science Master's Degree Programs.
Non-degree students may enroll for a maximum period of two years (six semesters) and may register for no more than seven credits in any one semester.
All application materials should be sent to the JCLS Office of Admissions at the following address:
Jefferson College of Life Sciences
Office of Admissions
1020 Locust Street
Jefferson Alumni Hall, Room M46
Philadelphia, PA 19107
The application fee is $10.00. The fee is non-refundable.
We do not waive the application fee for non-degree status.
Non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid.
Courses taken as a non-degree student are the same courses we offer to our MS students. Completed non-degree courses may later be applied toward a graduate certificate or degree program.