Information for Admitted Applicants
Congratulations on your acceptance to Sidney Kimmel Medical College. The information on this page will be updated periodically in the weeks preceding Orientation Week. Please check this page regularly for updates.
Failure to comply with the requirements will result in your inability to access BANNER, the SKMC student information system.
The Campus Key authenticates your identity. It is assigned by IT services and will be your login credential for accessing all Jefferson University application and IT services.
Within two weeks of receiving your acceptance notification from the SKMC admissions office, you will receive two separate emails from the office of academic systems. The first email will provide you with a link to confirm your enrollment. The second email will ask you to update and complete your personal information and change your password.
For help with your Campus Key, contact the IS&T Service Desk at 215-503-7975. If your problem cannot be resolved on the phone, you can visit us at: IS&T Desk, Scott Memorial Library 1020 Walnut Street, 2nd Floor.
Please submit your application for your student ID (PDF) before June 25, 2021. You will need your ID to enter all Jefferson buildings. IDs will be distributed during Orientation Week.
Prior to arriving on campus, all new students are required to either email a recent headshot to PhotoID@jefferson.edu for approval or have their photos taken at the Photo ID office, located in the Jefferson Campus Bookstore upon arrival to campus.
Incoming students who chose the option of coming into the office will need to call Photo ID at 215-955-7942 to schedule an appointment. The Photo ID center is open Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 4:15 pm.
Prior to submitting a photo, please be sure to read the following instructions and photo guidelines carefully on what is required for the photo before submitting it. If you do not follow the photo guidelines it will not work and you will have to try again.
Select a clear, high resolution, digital color photo of yourself following the below guidelines:
- Most recent headshot of you facing the camera, arm pit to arm pit, with eyes open and visible.
- No selfies.
- A plain, solid, white background, without other people or objects.
- No hats, buttons, sunglasses, glare on glasses, spaghetti strap tops or clothing that allows undergarments to be visible, clothing that obscures the face, or shadows across your face or in the background.
- Avoid wearing white or pale clothing.
- Photo file must be in JPG/JPEG format at least 10BP but not exceeding 16MB.
Photos that do not meet the specified criteria will be rejected.
Once your photo is submitted to the PhotoID@Jefferson.edu email you will be notified within 72 hours if your photo was rejected. All students will be required to present a government issued ID or passport to confirm their identity at the time of pick-up. No exceptions.
Deadline July 1, 2021
For all students who graduated in December of 2020 or May of 2021, please have an official final transcript sent to:
Thomas Jefferson University
Sidney Kimmel Medical College
Office of Admissions
1015 Walnut Street, Suite 110 Philadelphia, PA 19107
An electronic transcript can also be emailed to SKMC Admissions at SKMC.Admissions@Jefferson.edu
This is considered OFFICIAL if emailed directly to the email address above. It cannot be forwarded or scanned, it will then be considered UNOFFICIAL.
We require that you update your address on file to provide both your Home/Permanent address and your Local (Philadelphia area) address.
You may enter this information on-line via Banner Web by following the steps:
- Log in to Banner, using your Campus Key and Password to log in
- If you haven't already, change your PIN number (the system will prompt you on first log in). Enter your original PIN and new choice of PIN. PINs must be six numeric characters
- If this is your first log in, the next screen will ask you to provide a hint question and answer in the event you forget your PIN and need to have it sent to you. Enter a question and answer that only you know the answer to, but do not make it overly difficult. If needed, your response must exactly match the answer you provide
- Read and accept the Terms of Usage
- Follow the "Personal Information" link
- Find the option "Update Addresses and Phones"
- Select "Home/Permanent" from the address selection drop-down box and enter all requested information
- Once you submit this information, you will be taken back to the address change screen. Select "Local" from the address selection drop-down box and enter all requested information
As an academic health center, Jefferson requires all matriculated students to have health insurance, and to complete the enrollment/waiver process for each academic year.* If you have health insurance through another provider, it must meet the stated minimum requirements to qualify for a waiver. If you do not have coverage through another provider that meets the minimum requirements, then you must enroll in the College-sponsored student health insurance plan. Once enrolled, the plan will be in effect for the entire academic year. You may only terminate the insurance coverage if you have a qualifying life change event.
*Dates may vary by academic program.
2020 – 2021 Rates
Matriculating Student Coverage 7/20/20 - 7/31/21
|Two or More Children||$10,018.00|
|Spouse + Two or More Children||$15,027.00|
Optional dental insurance is available for matriculated students at Thomas Jefferson University, Center City Campus and Abington Campus. The insurance is offered through United Health Care Insurance through FirstStudent.com (available soon) with two coverage levels available.
|Basic Plan||Enhanced Plan|
Questions: Please contact Ms. Joyce Muwwakkil or at 215-503-6988.
International Students in Sidney Kimmel Medical College have access to Thomas Jefferson University's Office of International Affairs (OIA). OIA helps students with immigration matters, acculturation and related issues.
International Students who need a form I-20 or sponsorship to study full-time at SKMC should email the Office of International Affairs at OIA@jefferson.edu after acceptance to begin the process of transferring from another U.S. university or obtaining initial immigration documents. The office can also be reached at 215-503-4335.
Students are required to attend First Year Orientation during the week of July 19, 2021. Registration takes place the morning of July 19, 2021.
White Coat Ceremony
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the status of the White Coat Ceremony is currently To Be Determined. Sidney Kimmel Medical College and Thomas Jefferson University will keep in compliance with Federal, State and City mandates. More information to follow as permitted.
Attendance at Orientation Events
Orientation will begin July 19, 2021 and there are information sessions planned for each day that week. Program details and logistics will be announced here as they become available.
Information will be available in mid-May. Please check back here.
All SKMC students will be issued a 7th Generation 10.2" iPad free of charge upon matriculation. Plans for distribution will be forthcoming.
- Percussion Hammer (Babinski, Dejerine, Queen's Square — do NOT purchase the triangular head or Buck hammer)
- Pen Light
Suggested but not Required
- Otoscope/ophthalmoscope (very important for students considering careers in family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, ophthalmology, ENT, neurology and neurosurgery)
- Tuning Forks (128 Hertz)
For Anatomy Sessions
- A pair (or two) of scrubs to be worn in dissection lab sessions and during practical examinations. Scrubs are mandatory at all times within the Dissection Facility.
- A pair of comfortable shoes that completely cover the foot and can get “messy”. This type of footwear is mandatory at all times within the Dissection Facility.
- A pair of safety glasses/goggles with shatterproof lenses and side shields. Wearing of Safety glasses/goggles is mandatory at all times within the Dissection Facility.
- A combination lock, if desired, for short term securing of personal items during your Dissection Sessions.
- Each dissection table is provided with two scalpel handles, two probes, two forceps and two scissors. Students may purchase their own dissection equipment, but purchased kits should have a Number 4 scalpel handle so the school provided blades will fit. Personal kits will remain in the lab and should be marked with Name, Class and Table number.
For Clinical Sessions
All instruments and most supplies are available for purchase at:
1009 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
The first-year academic calendar for the Class of 2024 is below. Calendars for all SKMC class years can be found on the Registrar's site. All dates listed are subject to revision.
|Monday July 20, 2020||Registration 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.|
|Monday July 20, 2020||First Payment comprehensive fee due at registration|
|Monday - Friday July 20 - 24, 2020
|Friday July 24, 2020||White Coat Ceremony|
|Fall Semester (Foundations of Medicine, Scholarly Inquiry, Clinical Experience & Humanities Selectives)
Block 1 (Intro to the Study of Medicine)
|Monday July 27, 2020
||Classes begin 8:00 a.m.|
|Monday - Friday August 31 - September 4, 2020||Block 1 Assessment Week
|Friday September 4, 2020||Block 1 ends 5:00 p.m.|
|Block 2 (Host Defense/Blood)|
|Monday September 7, 2020
||Labor Day Holiday|
|Tuesday September 8, 2020||Classes begin 8:00 a.m.|
|Monday - Friday October 19 - 23, 2020||Block 2 Assessment Week|
|Friday October 23, 2020||Block 2 ends 5:00 p.m.|
|Wellness Week (Mandatory sessions and attendance)
||Monday - Friday October 26 - 30, 2020|
|Block 3A (Cardio/Pulmanary)|
|Monday November 2, 2020||Classes begin 8:00 a.m.|
|Wednesday November 25, 2020||Thanksgiving Holiday begins 12:00 p.m.|
|Monday November 30, 2020
||Classes resume 8:00 a.m.|
|Monday - Friday December 14 - 18, 2020||Block 3A Assessment Week|
|Friday December 18, 2020
||Block 3A ends 5:00 p.m. Winter Recess begins.|
|Spring Semester (Foundations of Medicine II, Scholarly Inquiry, Clinical Experience & Humanities Selectives)
Block 3B (Cardio/Pulmonary continues)
|Monday January 4, 2021||Second Payment & Fees Due|
|Monday January 4, 2021||Classes resume 8:00 a.m.|
|Monday January 18, 2021||Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday|
|Monday - Friday February 15 - 19, 2021||Block 3B Assessment Week
|Monday February 19, 2021
||Block 3B ends 5:00 p.m.|
|Block 4A (Renal/Liver/GI)
|Monday February 22, 2021
||Classes begin 8:00 a.m.
|Monday - Friday March 8 - 12, 2021
|Monday March 15, 2021||Classes resume 8:00 a.m.
|Monday - Friday March 29 - April 2, 2021||Block 4A Assessment Week|
|Friday April 2, 2021||Block 4A ends 5:00 p.m.|
|Block 4B (Renal/Liver/GI continues)|
|Monday April 5, 2021||Classes begin 8:00 a.m.
|Monday - Friday May 10 - 14, 2021||Block 4B Assessment Week
|Friday May 14, 2021||Block 4B ends 5:00 p.m. Summer Recess begins.|
Sidney Kimmel Medical College of Jefferson University is committed to providing all students with opportunities to take full advantage of the educational and academic programs. Our College of Medicine recognizes that students with documented disabilities may require reasonable accommodations in order to achieve this objective and/or to meet the technical standards.