Services for Students with Disabilities
Current and incoming students who would like to request accommodations are encouraged to do so by completing an Accommodation Request to get started.
Accessibility Services General Information
Thomas Jefferson University is committed to providing equal education opportunities to all students, including students with disabilities, in accordance with section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act. Thomas Jefferson University will provide reasonable accommodations to all qualified individuals with disabilities to allow equal access and full participation to all University sponsored activities and programs.
- Learning Disabilities
- Physical/Medical Disabilities
- Attention Deficit or Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Psychological Disabilities
Accessibility Services uses a web-based software system called Accommodate to register students with accommodations. Access to this system is available to all students registered with our office.
In efforts to maximize the use of Accommodate, Accessibility Services will no longer be emailing accommodation letters to students. Students will instead log into Accommodate to download their letter and forward to their faculty.
Students are responsible for contacting Accessibility Services to request any accommodation. To do this, please use the following steps:
- Complete an Accommodation Request: Students may begin the accommodation process by completing the Accommodation Request.
- Documentation: Please note that there is an option to upload documentation at the time of your Accommodation Request. The uploaded documentation must follow the Documentation Guidelines set forth by Accessibility Services. Digital copies can be uploaded to Accommodate. Documentation can also be emailed or mailed to Accessibility Services at:
- Meeting: After the request is submitted by the student and reviewed by our staff, the student will receive a request to meet. This serves as the first initial meeting with our office to discuss the accommodation request and review documentation.
Location: 130 S 9th Street, Suite 1800, Philadelphia, PA, 19107
A combination of the following forms of documentation will be considered in evaluating accommodation requests at Thomas Jefferson University:
Medical records and/or the Jefferson Medical Intake Form.
ESA Medical Intake Form (for Emotional Support Animals).
College records (e.g., Individualized Education Plans).
Letters of accommodation from previous higher education institutions.
Please refer to our Documentations Standards page for further detail.
A semester request is a task that all students registered with Accessibility Services must complete every semester after being approved for accommodations. It communicates that the student wants to continue using their accommodation and to apply it to each set of courses in the new semester.
Starting in January 2024, each student is responsible for completing a semester request every semester they are enrolled at Thomas Jefferson University. If this task is not completed, the student will run the risk of not having their accommodations applied to the courses that they are enrolled in. Accessibility Services will not be held responsible for the student's failure to complete a semester request in a timely manner to utilize accommodations to support the student's academic success.
Use the following steps to complete this task:
- Log into Accommodate using your campus key and password
- Click on the "Accommodation" tab in the left sidebar and then select "Semester Request" from the submenu.
- Click on the "Add New" button.
- From the Semester dropdown menu, select the semester for which you are renewing your accommodations. The page will reload, and you will see your course schedule on the right side of the screen. If your course schedule does not appear, please still complete your semester request.
- Select "Submit for All Accommodations" or "Review the Renewal".
- If you select “Submit for All Accommodations,” you request that all your accommodations be applied to all your next semester classes.
- If you select “Review the Renewal,” you can review your approved accommodations and delete them as needed. If you know a particular accommodation is no longer effective, you can opt to delete it for that semester. Complete this process for each accommodation listed.
- If you add or drop any courses after you complete a semester request for the same semester, please notify the Accessibility Services Office immediately.
If you need assistance with or have questions regarding the completion of a semester request, please contact Accessibility Services: TJU_CC_AccessibilityServices@jefferson.edu