Vascular Medicine Fellowship Program
Name: Geno J. Merli, MD Expand/Collapse Contact Info
Current Research Projects
Society of Hospital Medicine Facilitated Anticoagulation for Safer Transitions Study (SHM-FAST)
- 8 National Hospitals enrolled in the above study to assess a transition of care model to assess reduction in length of stay, major bleeding and hospital readmissions.
- We provided a review of the literature, study design, education materials and training for all participating hospitals.
- The study is now in its 9th month of an18 month study
Apixaban Discontinuation for Invasive Or major Surgical procedures: ADIOS Study
- This is a prospective study of patients taking apixaban and scheduled for invasive or major surgery.
- Plasma levels of apixaban and Anti-Xa levels were obtained 3 weeks prior surgery and on the morning of surgery after discontinuing apixaban 3 days prior to surgery.
- The study outcomes were the plasma and Anti-Xa level of apixaban and postoperative thrombosis or major bleeding.
- Study completed and accepted for publication in Vascular Medicine
Post Hospitalization Thrombosis COVID-19 Registry (Photo C-19 Registry)
- This is a retrospective chart review of 1200 patient hospitalized with COVID-19.
- The study will document the use of extended VTE prophylaxis, VTE events, re-admissions for VTE or major bleeding.
- This registry is currently in data collection phase
Comprehensive Atherosclerosis Treatment Collaborative for the Health System (CATCHem)
- Comprehensive assessment and management of patients with peripheral and cerebrovascular atherosclerotic disease
- This will include management of lipids, BP, Diabetes, antiplatelet agents, anticoagulants and smoking cessation
- The programs includes clinical collaboration with Pharmacy, Cardiology, Vascular Surgery, Neurosurgery, Endocrinology and Vascular Medicine