The Office of Student Life & Engagement Needs YOUR Help
Do you remember those student volunteers that checked you in, guided you from session to session, and answered questions at your University Orientation? Well, now you are the experienced ones, and we need you to be there for our incoming students!
Student volunteers are needed to assist with our University Orientation programs. We are asking current students to volunteer for one or more of the programs as a University Orientation Leader. This is a great opportunity to take on a leadership role and help our new students as they transition to Jefferson.
This is a volunteer student leader position that also includes the following complimentary items as a thank you for serving in the role of Orientation Leader. For EACH University Orientation they serve at, students will receive the following*, except as noted:
- $25 Amazon gift card
- Jefferson t-shirt (provided only once)
- Brunch at the orientation
*Students must fulfill the position requirements, expectations, and responsibilities. An electronic gift card will be sent to students' Jefferson email within one week after the orientation date. OSLE reserves the right to modify the amount of the gift card, based upon successful completion of requirements, expectations, and responsibilities.
- Must be a returning or graduating student that is matriculated at Jefferson.
- Must be available to volunteer for the entire shift at one or more of the University Orientation dates listed.
- Must be willing to help all new students, regardless of academic program.
- Must be willing to assist with any of the corresponding responsibilities of an Orientation Leader.
Responsibilities may include any or all of the following:
- Serve as a student representative of the university.
- Staff the Check-In Table (record attendance, hand out materials).
- Greet arriving students and help seat them.
- Lead groups of students between sessions and around campus.
- Serve as a panelist on the Orientation Leader Panel.
- Serve as a resource, answering any general questions, and directing students to the appropriate office/staff.
- Sit with the new students at lunch and engage them in discussion.
- Assist with setup or take-down of areas and collect evaluations at the end of the day.
- Required Attire:
- Dress appropriately and professionally. When you arrive, we will provide you with a Jefferson t-shirt to wear throughout the day.
- On your lower half wear attire such as khaki pants, capris, longer shorts, or nice jeans. NO cutoffs, ripped jeans, or short shorts (must have a minimum six-inch inseam or more).
- For your feet, wear comfortable shoes suitable for traveling between buildings. NO flip-flops.
- A backpack or drawstring bag is encouraged.
- And don’t forget to bring your Jefferson ID badge with you.
- Be friendly and professional! Keep in mind that in your role as an Orientation Leader you are representing the university.
- Actively engage with the incoming students – try to make them feel welcome and comfortable in their new environment. Ensure that your focus is on the incoming students; refrain from socializing exclusively with the other Orientation Leaders.
- Serve as a resource, answering any questions you can or directing students to the appropriate person.
- Engage in ongoing communication with the OSLE staff members throughout the day – don’t hesitate to ask any questions you might have about your role; also, keep the staff informed of any issues.
- Ensure that you are where you are supposed to be throughout the day (refer to your schedule and specific roles).
- Engage in a respectful manner in all interactions; be positive and approachable; role model appropriate behavior for incoming students.
- Answer questions about the university while being free of personal bias.
- Be proactive in meeting the needs of our incoming students, such as asking if anyone has any questions or approaching someone that seems confused.
2022 University Orientation Dates
Pre-Fall/Summer University Orientations:
- Tuesday, May 17, 2022 (Orientation Leader Shift: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
- Wednesday, May 18, 2022 (Orientation Leader Shift: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
Fall University Orientations:
How to Apply to Be an Orientation Leader
- Complete the University Orientation Leader Application Form.
- NOTE: You may volunteer for any of the dates, regardless of your academic program. However, please only list those dates for which you are available and willing to commit to serving as an Orientation Leader.
- A confirmation email will be sent to your Jefferson email if you are selected to be an Orientation Leader. Additional details will be sent to Orientation Leaders as each date approaches.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Student Life & Engagement at StudentLife@jefferson.edu or 215-503-7743.