Online Writing Lab
In addition to individual writing consultations, we offer many online resources to help you improve knowledge and skills related to academic writing. At your own pace, on your own time, you can access self-guided tutorials, links to external resources, and other materials.
We welcome feedback on these resources, as well as suggestions for new topics. Contact Eileen.Cunniffe@jefferson.edu.
Getting Ready to Write Your Paper
- Academic Writing in the Health Sciences: An Introduction (Self-guided tutorial with an assessment; allow about 15 minutes).
- Understand the Assignment Before You Write (Self-guided tutorial, including hands-on practice and assessments; allow about 20 minutes).
- Understanding Your Writing Assignment (PDF).
- The Power of Using Bias-Free-Language (Self-guided tutorial; allow about 10 minutes).
- Roadmap to Better Writing (Online resource from Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants offers advice for planning and organizing your writing).
- Strategies for Writing in Teams (Self-guided tutorial; allow 10 minutes).
- Research Article Activity (Online resource from APA Style with guidance on "how to find, cite, analyze, and summarize a scholarly research. article." Useful template for organizing information for a literature review.).
Essential Topics for Academic Writers
- A Recipe for Writing Effective Paragraphs (Self-guided tutorial; allow 5-10 minutes).
- Polish Your Prose: Basic Rules & Common Pitfalls (Self-guided tutorial; allow 20 minutes).
- How to Approach Synthesis in Academic Writing (Self-guided tutorial; allow about 15 minutes).
- Academic Integrity, Transparency, & Avoiding Plagiarism (Self-guided tutorial with an assessment; allow about 15 minutes).
- Sample Texts to Illustrate Effective Paraphrasing (PPT).
- The Art of the Abstract: Tips for Writing a Concise Summary (Self-guided tutorial; allow 5-10 minutes).
- What's in a Name? Tips for Paper Titles (Self-guided tutorial; allow 5 minutes).
- How to Write a Literature Review (PDF).
APA Style 7th Edition Support
- Introducing the Basics of Seventh Edition APA Style (Self-guided tutorial from the APA Style website; allow about 15 minutes).
- APA 7th Edition Style Brief for Jefferson Students (Self-guided tutorial with an assessment, includes link to an APA Style online tutorial which should be completed first; allow about 15 minutes for each).
- APA Style Official Website.
- New to APA formatting? Learn how to set up pages and format each element of a student paper.
- Stumped on an APA style question? Send an email message to StyleExpert@APA.org.
- Committed to mastering APA Style, one small step at a time? Subscribe to the APA Style monthly newsletter for tips and resources.
- Ready to submit a paper written in APA Style? Review this checklist first.
AMA Style Support
- The online version of AMA Manual of Style: A Guide for Authors and Editors, 11th Edition (2020) can be accessed through Scott Memorial Library, using your campus key.
- Grammarly Software Free Premium Version is available to Jefferson students, faculty, and staff.
- How to Use Grammarly to Boost Your Confidence as a Writer (PDF).