BS in Fashion Design
Kanbar College of Design, Engineering & Commerce
Bachelor of Science
125 - 127
Call to ActionsApply Request Information
Connect with Us
Business of Fashion List
BEST FASHION SCHOOLS
in the World
TOP 25 FASHION SCHOOLS WORLDWIDE
About the Program
The highly ranked BS in Fashion Design program is globally recognized for training team-oriented designers who understand the interrelationship of design, production and commerce while creatively answering the ever-changing needs of the fashion marketplace. The program’s mission is to train student designers to have a vision for the future; to problem-solve; to communicate with a vast world requiring quick response; and to contribute to the global marketplace. Students study and create in state-of-the-art studio facilities, complete with industry-standard tools and machinery. Traditional patternmaking and draping techniques are taught alongside digital design software, such as Adobe and CLO, to give students a comprehensive fashion design education that is unparalleled by other institutions.
The four-year BS in Fashion Design focuses on the development of professional skills and creativity supported by a base of liberal arts. The curriculum promotes an aesthetic understanding that is confluent with the technical aspects of the discipline. Students are encouraged to express their personal design philosophy while considering client and societal needs.
During your time at Thomas Jefferson University, you will also have the opportunity to add an international dimension to your education by participating in our study abroad programs at an international fashion center like Rome, or through short courses in other fashion hubs around the world. With a global experience, you will gain a cross-cultural outlook while broadening your design skills and strengthening your competitive edge in the international marketplace.
Reasons to Study Fashion Design at Thomas Jefferson University
- Study at a top fashion university, recognized both nationally and globally. Fashion design at Jefferson is consistently ranked as a top fashion school by Fashionista, Business of Fashion, and Fashion-Schools.org as part of their annual surveys.
- Create custom prints, textiles, accessories, jewelry, and hardware to give your creations unique perspective. Collaborative design opportunities unique to Jefferson allow students from cross-disciplines to work together to fulfill a creative vision. Work with textile, industrial, or graphic design students, just to name a few, to create garments customized to your inspiration.
- Participate in industry sponsored projects unique to Jefferson students. These projects sponsored by top fashion companies are built into program curriculum to give students insight into designing within brand parameters, while also allowing students to network with professionals in the field.
- Unique partnerships and scholarship opportunities open doors for students to explore their dreams. Jefferson Fashion Design students participate in and are regularly awarded industry-sponsored scholarships, such as the Fashion Scholarship Fund, Eileen Komar West Scholarship, and Black Talent in Design & Fashion Fund. Other unique opportunities allow students to showcase their designs for wider community exposure, such as the Rock the Red Dress Fashion Show supporting the American Heart Association’s Go Red for Women campaign.
- Showcase your skill and talents to a wider audience. Our Annual Fashion Show has been covered in WWD and draws an especially large crowd of industry professionals, media, family, and friends. Seniors are also featured in a professionally produced fashion film, which delivers insights into the inspiration and process behind each senior collection. Following the industry’s example in exploring new methods of presentation, Thomas Jefferson University is the first fashion school to produce a documentary-style fashion film, setting a powerful example of design and fashion as a means of storytelling.
Industry collaborative opportunities with top fashion brands allow students to network while gaining valuable educational experience. Students participate in these projects that are strategically built into course curriculum to allow students to gain insight into how brands develop their concepts, design within brand parameters, and consider real-life costing & production situations. Past industry projects have been sponsored by Free People, Target, Lily Pulitzer, Old Navy, and NASA, just to name a few.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students who graduate from the fashion design program will:
- Apply conceptual and critical thinking skills to demonstrate the theoretical foundation of the profession
- Perform a broad base of technical skills and technology required of the profession
- Utilize quantitative reasoning and verbal, written and visual skills effectively
- Demonstrate understanding of business practice and ethics
- Possess skills to make contributions to the global fashion industry
- Examine global and cultural issues as they affect the world
Our fashion design program offers students a matchless introduction into the fast-paced, creative fashion industry. Students are taught by industry professionals and graduates are recognized as team-oriented designers who understand the relationship between design, technology, production and business in the global fashion marketplace.
- Learning through hands-on experience with the latest design equipment
- Study abroad / Away opportunities in major fashion centers, including Rome and Paris. Sophomore students can experience the New York fashion industry through the New York Immersion course
- Intern with companies including Lilly Pulitzer, Free People, Anthropologie, Abercrombie and Fitch, QVC, Betsy Johnson, Tommy Hilfiger, Urban Outfitters, and Vogue