Roseann C. Schaaf, PhD, OTR/L, FAOTA
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 503-2950 fax
PhD, Neural and Behavioral Sciences, Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr, PA
MEd, Motor Development, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
BS, Occupational Therapy, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- National Board Certification for Occupational Therapy
- Licensed Occupational Therapist: Pennsylvania
- Sensory Integration and Praxis Test Certification
- AOTA Neuroscience Certificate: Neuroscience Foundations of Human Performance
- Professor, Department of Occupational Therapy
- Director, Autism Laboratory
- Faculty, Farber Institute for Neuroscience
- Research Associate, University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa (2018)
- Visiting Professor, Albert Einstein Medical Center (2015 - present)
- Director, Jefferson Autism Center of Excellence
- Team Leader, Autism Programmatic Research Program
- Associate Editor, Occupational Therapy Journal of Research
- Member, American Occupational Therapy Association
- Member, International Society for Autism Research
- Member, American Occupational Therapy Foundation
- President, Academy of Research, American Occupational Therapy Foundation
- Member, Alpha Eta Honor Society
- Member, Philadelphia Autism Project
- Member, World Federation of Occupational Therapists
- Member, Pennsylvania Occupational Therapy Association.
- Founding Member, Sensory Integration Research Collaborative
Awards & Honors
- American Occupational Therapy Foundation Academy of Research (Inducted April 6, 2016).
- Jean Ayres Research Award. (April 2008): The American Occupational Therapy Foundation.
- Bridges to the Ivory Tower Research Award. (February 2007) Pediatric Therapy Network.
- Dean’s Faculty Achievement Award. (May 26, 2005) Thomas Jefferson University, College of Health Profession.
- Switzer Fellowship. (July 1, 2001-June 30, 2002). National Institute on Disabilities and Rehabilitation Research.
- Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching. (1996). Thomas Jefferson University.
- Fellow of the American Occupational Therapy Association. (1996).
- Service Award. (1993-1996, 1996-1999). AOTA Developmental Disabilities SIS.
- Fred and Sadie Abrams Award for Clinical and Laboratory Teaching Excellence. (1993). Thomas Jefferson University.
- Master Clinician Award of Excellence. (1990). Pennsylvania Occupational Therapy Association.
Research & Clinical Interests
- Intervention studies to evaluate the effectiveness of occupational therapy interventions for persons with Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Studying the neural mechanisms of sensory features in Autism including autonomic nervous system markers and the neural impacts of treatment of sensory features.
- Building evidence to support optimal function and participation in persons with Autism and other neurodevelopmental and environmental conditions.
- Promoting best practice in occupational therapy through data driven decision-making, intervention research, knowledge translation and implementation science.
Dr. Schaaf is a translational scientist bringing basic and applied science to clinical practice to improve lives. She is currently co-PI on a large NIH R01 comparative effectiveness trial examining the effectiveness of occupational therapy using Ayres Sensory Integration; an Eagles Autism Foundation Award to develop and test a new assessment of sensory functions; and a large program grant to study “Sensory Features in Autism.” In this latter grant, funded by the Nancy Lurie Marks Foundation, Dr. Schaaf serves as the overall project PI and is responsible for overseeing the work of five projects. Dr. Schaaf has been involved in research for over 20 years, receiving over $3 Million of funding and serving as a grant reviewer on several panels. She is the author of 4 books, serves as an associate editor of Occupational Therapy Journal of Research, and chair of the American Occupational Therapy Foundation Academy of Research. Dr. Schaaf has over 75 publications in peer review journals and an international known speaker.
Most Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Sensory Features as a Marker of Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Neural foundations of ayres sensory integration®
- Occupational therapy interventions for children and youthwith challenges in sensory integration and sensory processing: A clinic-based practice case example
- Occupational therapy interventions for children and youthwith challenges in sensory integration and sensory processing: A school-based practice case example
- Ayres Sensory Integration Meets Criteria for an Evidence-Based Practice: A Response to Stevenson 
- A systematic review of ayres sensory integration intervention for children with autism
- Erratum: (American Journal of Occupational Therapy (2018) 72: 1 DOI: 10.5014/ajot.2018.029017)
- Efficacy of occupational therapy using ayres sensory integration®: A systematic review
- Introduction to the evaluation in ayres sensory integration® (EASI)
- Sleep in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Manualization of occupational therapy using ayres sensory integration® for autism
- Application of data-driven decision making using ayres sensory integration® with a child with Autism
- Toward a Best-Practice Protocol for Assessment of Sensory Features in ASD
- Creating evidence for practice using data-driven decision making
- Ayres sensory integration®intervention
- Linking Sensory Factors to Participation: Establishing Intervention Goals with Parents for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Sensory integration and praxis patterns in children with autism
- State of the science: A roadmap for research in sensory integration
- Measuring change in somatosensation across the lifespan
- Sensory interventions for children with autism