Residential Life-East Falls Campus

Frequently Asked Questions

Learn more about living at Thomas Jefferson University's East Falls' campus through the Frequently Asked Questions below.

Residents are required to acquire adequate renters insurance coverage for all personal property by their move-in date. Students are required to ensure their property has the necessary coverage, whether through a parent/guardian's homeowner's insurance policy or through individual renter's insurance coverage. The University is not liable for any loss or damage incurred to residents' personal property, whether by flood, fire, theft, or any other cause.

Due to a limited amount of parking spaces on campus, first-year students are not permitted to have cars on campus. Any exceptions are at the discretion of the Department of Public Safety.

During Thanksgiving, Spring and Winter breaks, the residence halls are closed. We offer break housing in Martin Hall on the Center City campus for students who need to stay over the break periods. Break Housing information will be sent to residential students several weeks prior to each break period. 

Students can use their meal plan, cash, or credit cards at one of the many dining options on campus. Ravenhill Dining Hall is located on the Ravenhill side of campus. Common Thread is an “al a carte” option located in the Kanbar Campus Center. Ted’s, also located in Kanbar Campus Center, is the convenience store option where students can purchase snacks and essentials.

First-year students living in University housing are automatically assigned a standard full meal plan that allows students to eat 19 meals per week for the semester - with $100 bonus dollars. Students have the opportunity to change their plan to the 19 premium meal plan that offers more benefits at a higher price. More information about each plan can be found on our Dining Services website.  

Students living in college-owned apartments/townhouses, off-campus housing, or are commuting from home may choose to enroll in one of the full meal plan options or choose one of the block meal plan options.

The list below is not exhaustive, if you have questions about an item, please contact the Office of Residential Life. Residents are permitted to bring:
  • Microfridges or refridgerators 4.3 cu. ft. or less (1 permitted per double or triple room; 2 permitted in quad rooms; 1 per resident in their bedroom in Independence Plaza/Townhouses)
  • LED lights/lamps of any kind, twinkle lights    
  • Microwave, only in Independence Plaza/Townhouse kitchens; 1 permitted per apartment/townhouse
  • Kitchen appliances with an automatic shutoff, only in Independence Plaza/Townhouse kitchens
  • Single serve coffee makers and blenders with automatic shutoff
  • Bed Risers (no cinderblocks)
  • Headboards (do not attach to bedframe)
  • TVs and gaming consoles
  • Water filters
  • Command Hooks for use on walls and doors
  • Trash cans

The list below is not exhaustive; please refer to the Residential Facilities Policies. Residents may not have in the residence halls:

  • refrigerators larger than 4.3 cu. ft.
  • candles, incense, lava lamps, or any substance requiring the use of an open flame
  • Non-led lights/lamps
  • cooking appliances - coffee makers without automatic shutoff, hot plates, blenders, George Foreman grills, rice cookers, airfryers, immersion coils, mini-cooking applicances (egg cookers, waffle irons, panini makers) are not permitted in Fortess, Mott, Partridge, Ronson & Scholler Halls; this list is not exhaustive
  • pets
  • streamers, live trees, items hung from the ceiling
  • space heaters
  • air conditioners
  • weapons and/or explosives –including paintball and airsoft guns, firecrackers, and any combustible materials
  • alcoholic beverages if under 21 years of age
  • alcohol paraphernalia- including decorative empty bottles
  • illegal drugs and paraphernalia
  • amplifiers

Honors housing is located in Ronson Hall and is open to first-year students only. Preference for placement is given to students who have Honors roommates.

Yes, students have the opportunity to live on our Intersectionality Community in Ronson Hall. Students in this community share living spaces and bathrooms with students of all gender identities. Students will get to explore different aspects of their identity and learn more about themselves.

Students have the opportunity to either pick their own roommates or have the Office of Residential Life assign one for them. All new incoming students complete the housing application in the housing portal. Part of the housing application is a roommate profile. The answers to these questions help students to locate other students with similar interests that they may want to room with. If a student locates another new, incoming student in the housing portal whom they believe would be a great roommate, they can request to be roommates. If students do not select their own roommates, the Office of Residential Life uses their roommate profile to select their roommates.