Registrar’s Office


At Thomas Jefferson University, there are numerous ways in which students register into classes based on their academic program. Most students will be given specific instructions on how to complete the registration process in an email sent to them before the start of the academic term. Other students will be registered by the Registrar’s Office and will be notified by their program when that has been completed.

Sidney Kimmel Medical College Phase 1 students are automatically registered for their required courses. Sidney Kimmel Medical College Phase 2 and 3 students should refer to the registration information on their Canvas Phase page.

Registration dates are found in the Academic Calendar corresponding to the students’ College.

Pre-Requisite Waiver

A pre-requisite is a course or other requirement that a student must have taken prior to enrolling in a specific course. If you have been advised to register for a course for which you have not satisfied the pre-requisite(s), you must complete a Pre-Requisite Waiver Form corresponding to your College as noted below. If approved, this will enable you to bypass the pre-requisite and register for the course. This only pertains to the following Colleges:

Registering for Courses that Require Prior Authorization

The Course Authorization Form (PDF) must be completed for students who meet one of the following conditions:

  1. Undergraduate students who would like to register for a graduate course
  2. Graduate students who would like to register for a graduate course that requires approval

This form is initiated by the student and the student is responsible for obtaining the required signatures from University officials. For more, view the policy on undergraduate students taking graduate courses.

Declaration or Change in Concentration

A concentration is a specific focus of study within a major. To declare or change a concentration, you must meet one of the following criteria:

  1. The program requires that you declare a concentration.
  2. The program offers the option of declaring a concentration and it is up to you to decide whether or not you want to.

Please note: some programs do not permit the declaration of a concentration even if you want one, because not every major has a concentration. Consult with your program director if your program offers a concentration.

If you are required to declare or if you opt to declare or make a change to your concentration, you must complete the Declare/Change a Concentration Form (PDF).

Independent Study

If you wish to enroll in Independent Study, you must complete the Independent Study Request Form (PDF). For more, view the policy on Independent Study.

Course Withdrawal

If you wish to withdraw from a course after the deadline to drop the course, you must complete the Course Withdrawal Form (PDF). For more, view the policy on course withdrawal for undergraduate students and the policy on course withdrawal for graduate students.

Auditing Courses

If you wish to attend a course regularly, but do not wish to receive credit for the course, you may request permission to audit the course by completing the Course Audit Request Form (PDF). For more, view the policy on auditing a course.