The JCLS Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion (DEI) Journal Club is a safe and accountable space for the community to come together monthly to engage in active discussion about relevant diversity topics that will challenge our current worldviews to increase inclusivity and equity in the life sciences and our respective communities (classrooms, labs, offices, etc.).
The next event will be held on February 4, 2021, 4-5pm online.
See below for registration information.
Tess Cherlin (she/her/hers)
Olivia Ottone (they/them/theirs)
Taziah Kenney (she/her/hers)
Lina Byrne-Dugan (she/her/hers)
Nick Swanson (he/him/his)
Stan Conaway (he/him/his)
Dr. Manuela Tripepi (she/her/hers)
John Han (he/him/his)
- This is a space for everyone to learn and grow.*
- The goal is not to agree -- it is to gain a deeper understanding.
- Be conscious of body language and nonverbal responses -- they can be as disrespectful as words.
- Share responsibility for including all voices in the discussion. If you tend to dominate discussions, take a step back, and help the group invite others to speak. If you tend to stay quiet, challenge yourself to share ideas so others can learn from you.
- Be conscious of how much space you're taking up in a conversation; be extra conscious if you hold a privileged or dominant identity when discussing a form of inequality or oppression.
- Disagree with ideas, not people; use "I" statements to speak from your personal perspective, rather than making generalizations.
- We agree to listen respectfully to each other without interruptions. Only one person speaks at a time. However, this does not mean we should ignore problematic statements.
- We acknowledge that we may be at different stages of learning on the content and discussion topics.
- Personal stories should be respected; what is shared in discussions should not be discussed outside of the group without that individual’s permission.
- Meetings may be recorded for internal use by the organizers.**
*Continuously disruptive individuals may be muted or removed from the meeting by the moderator(s).
**Recording meetings enables organizers to capture topics of discussion most accurately in the meeting minutes. All content shared on the Journal Club website or externally will be anonymized to protect the identities, ideas, and opinions of individuals in attendance unless individuals have consented to otherwise.
By completing this registration, you will be added to our Canvas site for the JCLS DEI Journal Club which contains Upcoming Session Information (Topics, Reading Material, Zoom Links, Expert Speaker Info, etc.), Previous Meeting Minutes, Additional Resources, and much more!