Undergraduate Policies

Courses Taken Elsewhere

From time to time, matriculated students may find it necessary to take courses at another college or university. Students may also seek permission to take courses at another institution during the academic year if specific courses are not available at Thomas Jefferson University. 

  • Students may only register for six credits or two courses at another institution.
  • Permission to take courses at another institution will be granted only if the institution is a regionally accredited institution. 
  • Courses at the other institution are determined to be equivalent to courses at Thomas Jefferson University by the respective program director or associate dean after a faculty review of the corresponding course description.
  • Generally, permission to take courses equivalent to Thomas Jefferson University junior- and senior-level courses will be granted only if the other institution is a four-year college or university. Students may not take junior- and senior-level courses at a two-year or community college.
  • Students must fulfill their residency requirements at Thomas Jefferson University. 

Prior to January 1, 2019, if the student earns the equivalent grade of “C-” or higher for an approved course, Thomas Jefferson University will grant credit for the course. Effective January 1, 2019, students must earn a “C” or higher for an approved course. Students should not take courses at other institutions on a “Credit/No Credit” or pass/fail basis, as the University will not accept such a grade toward a Thomas Jefferson University degree. Grades earned at another college or university are NOT made part of the student’s Thomas Jefferson University transcript; rather, the credits will be considered only for transfer credit.

It is the responsibility of the students to:

  • Secure a catalog description from the other institution and verify that the intended course will be offered.
  • Obtain a “Permission to Take Courses at Another Institution” form online at the Academic Success Center web site. The completed form must be submitted at least six weeks before courses begin at the other institution.
  • Take the form and the catalog course description(s) to the following individuals for review and approval: (1) a faculty member in the appropriate academic area to verify equivalency of the intended course; and (2) the Associate Dean for the Hallmarks Core courses equivalency, or the program director or Associate Dean for course equivalency in the major. Submit a copy of the form to your advisor and retain a copy for your records.
  • Submit the completed form to the University Registrar. As a general rule, a student will not be permitted to take a course at another institution if the course is being offered by Thomas Jefferson University and if, at the time the student wishes to take the course, the student is residing within 30 miles of the University. Students should not plan to take more than two courses at another institution in any term, including the summer. Students must be in good academic standing at the University and must be in residence at Thomas Jefferson University during the semester immediate preceding the awarding of the degree.Upon request the Registrar will send a letter to the college or university for permission to take the course(s). Copies will be supplied to the student and to the student’s advisor.

The student must make arrangements for an official transcript to be sent to the Office of Thomas Jefferson University Registrar after completion of the off-campus course work. No credit will be evaluated until that office has received an official transcript. No credits will be transferred without prior approval.

Continuing & Professional Studies (CPS) Policy

Following is the CPS policy for students who seek permission to take courses at another institution after matriculation in an CPS program:

  1. Completion of Request for Permission: The CPS “Permission to Take Courses at Another Institution Form” must be completed before taking a course at another institution.
  2. Timing:  Students must submit the completed permission form to the Continuing & Professional Studies (CPS) for approval at least six weeks before courses are scheduled to begin at the transfer institution.
  3. Academic Standing: Students must be in good academic standing, i.e. minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA.
  4. Two-year versus Four-year Institutions: Permission to take courses equivalent to Jefferson’s junior and senior level courses (300- and 400-level) will be granted only if the other institution is a four-year college or university.
  5. Maximum Number of Courses: Current students (including students on a Leave of Absence or Medical Leave of Absence) may take a maximum of two (2) courses at another institution after matriculating in a degree program in CPS. Separate lecture and lab count as one course.
  6. Residency: Students must fulfill residency requirements at Jefferson in order to graduate. CPS students must earn a minimum of 33 semester credit hours in residence at Jefferson. Students must be in residence during the semester immediately preceding the awarding of the degree.
  7. Credits & Grades: If a student earns a grade of "C" or better, Jefferson will accept transfer credit for an approved course. Grades earned at another institution are NOT included in the student’s GPA at Jefferson. Jefferson will only accept credit for a course taken on a “Credit/No Credit” or “Pass/Fail” basis if there is evidence that the “Credit” or “Pass” grade is equivalent to “C” or higher. Transfer credits from an institution that operates on a quarter system will be converted to the equivalent number of semester credits.
  8. Notification of Decision:  If the request is approved, a notification letter will be sent to the transfer institution. Copies will be sent to the Registrar, student, and academic advisor. Note: If the request is not approved, the student will be informed in writing.
  9. Transcripts:  Students must arrange for an official transcript from the transfer institution to be forwarded directly to the Registrar’s Office upon completion of the approved course(s).  Students may follow up with their advisor  to confirm the transcript has been received.
  10. Issues concerning the other institution:  Other institutions may have policies which prevent a student from another institution [such as Jefferson] taking a given course. Students are responsible for reading the catalog and contacting the other institution to determine any applicable policies. Students should also be aware that other institutions may cancel advertised courses in any given term according to that institution’s policies.


See Also: Residency Requirements